Differences between Jacket, Back-Inflate, BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mind having some dumpable weight, although even though its just for emergencies, most divers will never ever have to dump their weights. I would prefer integrated weight pouches that are either part of the BC, or attach to the harness on a BP/W. My girlfriend does NOT want a weight belt. She had to use one in training since the XSmall BC she used didn't have integrated weights. She absolutely hates weight belts.

Whether dumpable weight provides a safety benefit depends on how much weight that is. If I were to use an Al plate instead of the steel one, then I would have to add all of maybe 4 lbs. of lead. Being able to dump that little weight wouldn't make much of a difference in my safety. If I were to use an Al plate (say, for saving travel weight), I might as well put the 4 lbs. in non-dumpable pockets on the cambands.

When I transitioned to a BPW, I stopped using dumpable weights-people thought I was crazy for not having that safety margin but if something happens, I would just swim up. Like Lorenzoid, I've never had to use more than 4-6lbs with my current set up so dumping weights is irrelevant at least for me.

When I transitioned to a BPW, I stopped using dumpable weights-people thought I was crazy for not having that safety margin but if something happens, I would just swim up. Like Lorenzoid, I've never had to use more than 4-6lbs with my current set up so dumping weights is irrelevant at least for me.

Whether dumpable weight provides a safety benefit depends on how much weight that is. If I were to use an Al plate instead of the steel one, then I would have to add all of maybe 4 lbs. of lead. Being able to dump that little weight wouldn't make much of a difference in my safety. If I were to use an Al plate (say, for saving travel weight), I might as well put the 4 lbs. in non-dumpable pockets on the cambands.

I dont mind having to add even a few pounds of trim lead. I will mostly be diving in salt water anyway.

I dont mind having to add even a few pounds of trim lead. I will mostly be diving in salt water anyway.
Salt water all the way! I think fresh water diving grosses me out-I've heard of horror stories of ear infections and stuff from freshwater diving.

Im going up to PA in January for work but eastern PA in the Poconos.

One of the biggest differences I noticed going from an Aqualung Balance to a BP/W was the dry weight. I could now fit all of my gear (except camera) in a single mesh bag and it felt much lighter.

If you want the strength and construction of steel but want lightweight, Dive Rite makes a lighter SS BP
I don't have experience with this BP as both of my plates are both full SS

My daughter dives one of those. It's a good product. I had to machine out the camband slots to make it fit the wing I wanted to use, a common situation when using a singles wing from a different maker than the maker of the backplate.

I believe the OP is fairly new to diving.

It has been the consensus view on SB, in past threads, that "balanced rigs" with no ditchable weight are not suitable for beginners. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but I would suggest diving a configuration that, by ditching weight, can be made buoyant at reasonably foreseeable depths even with a full cylinder. At a minimum, someone diving without ditchable weight should be: a confident diver, able to reach and operate their cylinder valve during the dive, able to swim up their rig with an empty BC and full cylinder, comfortable ditching their entire rig if they have to, and in possession of a reasonable degree of swimming proficiency.

First 100 or so dives on a back inflate, the next 200 or so on a BPW. Used a jacket on 1 of my training dives and hated the squeeze. I would rule out a jacket for that reason alone.

I had zero dissatisfaction with my back inflate - SeaQuest (now Aqualung) Balance. Zero. I bought BPW only because I could / wife wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas / new shiny toy factor / son loved his. I really liked the drop of 8lbs from my belt (6lbs steel plate plus drop of 2lbs positive buoyancy from padding) as well as the "naked" feel of the sparse webbing, hogarthian harness, not a "comfort" rig. Other note is that my Balance had 40lb lift, my chosen wing 32lb. Made it easier (for me) to dial in my buoyancy.

BI is a bit less fooling around, easier to find / buy in many LDSs. BPW can be more spartan, or it can be as (or more) complicated as a BI if you accessorize the sh*t out of it. BPW allows less lead with a steel plate plus (if you do not over accessorize and pad the sh*t out of it) less inherent buoyancy.

Pick your poison. The only thing I would personally advise as a certainty is avoid the jacket. (Squeeze!!!)

My preference is BPW.

Added: My 32lb wing is sufficient with a HP130 steel tank and a 2 piece 7mm in cold water. the 40lb lift on the Balance was more than I needed. I do have trim weight pockets on my cam bands to which I add max 4 lbs. total. My max belted weight is 8lbs. with max exposure gear. I don't use weight pockets (other than cam bands) on the BPW. With the balance I always split weight between back trim pockets, front weight integrated, and belt. All about the trim.

Last edited:
Another comfort-related difference is padding. A jacket BC is typically highly padded, which matters to a diver, if at all, only while on land.

I just want to pick up on this. I think highly padded is a slight exaggeration, (the bulky material often looks that way but certainly there is some padding on the back.

This padding also serves to retain warmth. I know this because my DiveRite Transpac wing has a removable foam pad on the rear. While supposed to be neutral I fine it to be a couple of pounds positive, so I like to keep it on to offset the negativity of my steel cylinder and no (or very little) exposure protection.

This pad traps water and the back area gets quite warm, even through a wetsuit, so I need wiggle a little and flush with cooler water as it can get quite uncomfortable.

Now I appreciate my summer diving is in extreme water temps (often 100F at 100') and most people wouldn't notice this, however I thought I'd throw that nugget out there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom