Differences between Jacket, Back-Inflate, BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use a 22in hose attached to 90 degree adapter into the octo. Octo is then secured via bungee necklace. My primary is on a 40in hose under my right arm to another 90 degree adapter into primary 2nd stage.

My primary is on a 28" hose with a 360* swivel, and a 40" hose on the octo. I decided to stick with the standard hose config during the training, knowing its just changing out two hoses if I wanted to do it the other way. The swivel is amazing. Got it at cave adventurers for $25 and it completely eliminates jaw fatigue and the feeling of the hose yanking on the side of your head when you turn to the left. Im thinking of ordering a 2nd one as a spare.

Also the BP/W setup I was looking at was Deep 6's. I already got the "black friday" discount on their regs, and 25% off on a BP/W setup would lower the price to about $350-$375ish.

My primary is on a 28" hose with a 360* swivel, and a 40" hose on the octo. I decided to stick with the standard hose config during the training, knowing its just changing out two hoses if I wanted to do it the other way. The swivel is amazing. Got it at cave adventurers for $25 and it completely eliminates jaw fatigue and the feeling of the hose yanking on the side of your head when you turn to the left. Im thinking of ordering a 2nd one as a spare.
I recently acquired an Omni Swivel for my primary 2nd stage and it's really awesome. I think swivels are a bit of controversy as some divers think it's a serious failure point but I think if you choose a premium brand you should be ok.

This is the rig that I currently use:
View attachment 434163
Available here

Quick release is great for getting out of your gear. I mainly use this for single tank diving but if and when I go into tech with doubles, I'm not convinced a QR buckle would be able to withstand the weight of doubles. If I had to start all over again, I would probably go hogarthian style straight webbing.
Thank you! Putting together my first bp/w after 30 years of jackets, but when tired after dive, quick release is a treat. Need 3 set ups, so $390.00 vs making my own for very little requires some reflection.

I recently acquired an Omni Swivel for my primary 2nd stage and it's really awesome. I think swivels are a bit of controversy as some divers think it's a serious failure point but I think if you choose a premium brand you should be ok.

Yes it is a failure point, but if it fails I can surface and remove it with an adjustable wrench in 30 seconds. If I have a spare I can replace it in the same amount of time.

Also the BP/W setup I was looking at was Deep 6's. I already got the "black friday" discount on their regs, and 25% off on a BP/W setup would lower the price to about $350-$375ish.

if you're going with Deep6, drive up to Columbia, John Baker has a demo center in Cola where you can see them in person. Alternatively, just buy it, and if you aren't happy with it, the team at Deep6 will take care of you

Yes it is a failure point, but if it fails I can surface and remove it with an adjustable wrench in 30 seconds. If I have a spare I can replace it in the same amount of time.
Right on, but it kind of annoys me when I'm on a boat and divers will approach me and inform me that I'm going to die if I use a swivel. I then push them into the water and go about my day.

I have dived a backplate and wing for years - so i am quite pro.

That said there are some negatives, one of which is that the harness is fixed. So switching from wetsuit to drysuit means it's a real pain to adjust. You could have two, but thats a pain too.
A stainless steel backplate is heavy, so that can be an issue if you are traveling.

My late partner was never really sold on the backplate element. She loved the wing, ultimately she dived the 'soft' version of a harness. Hers was a custom diver (UK manufacturer). Although Diverite I believe do something similar, as do/did OMS. The other advantage was she liked a cumber band, and that you would tighten the shoulder straps like a traditional BC.

The other thing to consider is that generally a backplate and wing is much better suited to a twinset (doubles) rather than a single cylinder. That said, I use mine with a small diverite wing, which i perfect.

I'll probably get a hogarthian style straight webbing set up for local diving but that probably won't happen until next year. For now I'll just use existing QR setup for vacation diving.

Does anyone have a photo of a quick release on a bp/w harness to show me what that looks like? Was going to thread a hogarthian webbing myself, but I’d like the convenience of a shoulder quick release.

No pic, however, back in the day, we would use one of the metal weight belt buckles and put it on one of the shoulder straps. Of course this was on the old plastic backpacks, but would work on a BP/W as well.

I have one somewhere, probably a box not opened from my move, that I used for the pool. If I find it I'll post a picture.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom