Differences between Jacket, Back-Inflate, BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just recently changed over to a BP/W, so still remember what a jacket BCD feels like.

One thing I absolutely love about the BP/W's is that one can easily arrange and set where you prefer the D rings to be.
Tried quite some rental jacket BCDs before, none seem to quite nail down the D ring placement, usually resulting in me dangling items, or clipping something off to a d ring that I can barely locate and operate with ease.

Another big change would be that the mobility of your arms will increase greatly, and you would definitely feel less bulky compared to when using a jacket BCD.
The crotch strap also makes the whole rig more secure, making incidents of the BCD "riding up" almost nonexistent.
Trim in the water feels more natural as well.

My suggestion is just make sure that you try out one first before you switch over, as certain things might make you less comfortable in a BP/W than in a jacket BCD.
For example, the only dump valve that is located on the inside of the wing did require some getting use to when accustomed to using multiple dump valves located on the "outside" of the bcd as is usual with jacket BCDs.

Donning and doffing of the rig would be loads different compared to the jacket BCD, which might be a source of discomfort for you. Personally though, didn't find that to be an issue, just that it took some time to get accustomed to a different method.

The position of in water might be a thing you would get uncomfortable about as well.
I have heard of people complaining that BP/Ws push you face down into the water on the surface, but didn't have that issue with mine (don't inflate fully or; lean back as if laying down on a raft).
Just noticed that the BP/W sits lower in the water compared to when using a jacket BCD.

Also, you might need to consider that the BP/W might be more configured for a longhose setup than a standard setup.
I'm still figuring out where to put my octo as there is a lack of octo pockets that would be uncommon in jacket BCDs. Can't come out with a satisfactory solution yet as of now (maybe I'm reading too much DIR articles, resulting in me thinking that the longhose configuration is the only way to not interrupt the "perfect balance" of the BP/W:wink:)

Last edited:
I'm still figuring out where to put my octo as there is a lack of octo pockets that would be uncommon in jacket BCDs. Can't come out with a satisfactory solution yet as of now (maybe I'm reading too much DIR articles, resulting in me thinking that the longhose configuration is the only way to not interrupt the "perfect balance" of the BP/W:wink:)

I use a d-ring on my BP/W for the octopus - just bend the hose and insert it.

I use a d-ring on my BP/W for the octopus - just bend the hose and insert it.
Right, will try it out. Maybe will try tackling a boltsnap to a snorkel holder and wrap it around the octo's mouthpiece as well. Thanks for the idea!

I like a lot of what I am hearing about BP/W, I would just like to be able to have us try them out and figure out the best way to configure it and see how we like it before pulling the trigger.

I would have preferred to try it as well. The night I assembled it and strapped a tank to it and walked around I wondered if I had made a mistake. All my worry and hand wringing happened before I got in the water. After that I relaxed. Now when I strap on a tank and walk down the long set of steps and path to the water I wonder what I was ever worried about. My wife went through the same process and after diving it, she loves it. She made me get her some softer (purple) webbing. It is inconvenient as it doesn't hold it's shape as well. I haven't gotten her to try the original webbing yet but suspect she would like it except.......she loves purple. Fashion wins.

Right, will try it out. Maybe will try tackling a boltsnap to a snorkel holder and wrap it around the octo's mouthpiece as well. Thanks for the idea!
I currently use a 22in hose attached to 90 degree adapter into the octo. Octo is then secured via bungee necklace. My primary is on a 40in hose under my right arm to another 90 degree adapter into primary 2nd stage.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a photo of a quick release on a bp/w harness to show me what that looks like? Was going to thread a hogarthian webbing myself, but I’d like the convenience of a shoulder quick release.

. . .

It has been the consensus view on SB, in past threads, that "balanced rigs" with no ditchable weight are not suitable for beginners. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but I would suggest diving a configuration that, by ditching weight, can be made buoyant at reasonably foreseeable depths even with a full cylinder.

"Consensus" on SB? Really? You've been around here how long to have made that observation? As a beginner (which I pretty much still consider myself), I was taught that what I said is just fine. It's taught to beginners in GUE Rec 1 and Fundamentals. I will maintain that ditching 4 lbs. is unlikely to make the difference between a diver being able to swim to the surface and being too heavy to swim to the surface. Now, if we were talking, say, 8 lbs. or more, I might agree that some or all of that could be made ditchable. It doesn't matter how new the diver is to diving: If you have a problem, you head to the surface. That's about the easiest plan one can have. How many divers have perished because they failed to ditch weight? There's nothing wrong with having to ditch weight, but if a diver can get away without it, because he is confident he can reach the surface regardless, then why not? The key is to ensure that however you weight yourself, you can reach the surface. If that means ditching weight because you need to carry a lot of lead in order to properly weight yourself, fine. If that means you can easily do it without ditching any weight, that's fine, too. As I said, it all depends how much lead one is carrying. I firmly believe this IS a beginner concept.

At a minimum, someone diving without ditchable weight should be: a confident diver, able to reach and operate their cylinder valve during the dive, able to swim up their rig with an empty BC and full cylinder, comfortable ditching their entire rig if they have to, and in possession of a reasonable degree of swimming proficiency.

I respectfully disagree that all those skills are necessary. The one I bolded is the one I agree is necessary. It's easy for any diver to test this out himself, and from first hand experience I can say it improves confidence. A few pounds negative (i.e., not quite buoyant) or positive (i.e., a little bit buoyant) shouldn't make much difference.

When I first started out, and decided that I wanted my own gear I went to the LDS to start getting some. My first BCD was a Sherwood Cayman. It was an entry level jacket style BCD that got me started. It didn't take long though before I switched to a back inflate BCD. I went through a series of back inflate BCDs as my needs/desires evolved. Eventually, I tailored my gear to lightweight "travel BCDs" such as the Oceanic Islander or the Cressi Air Travel. I recently decided to give a BP/W a try for a week on a trip on a LOB. In other words, at one time or another, I have had each style of BCD.

As for me, most of the things that I found have already been mentioned above. I did not like the feel of the jacket BCD. To me, it felt more like being in a straight jacket that it did a reassuring hug. Having said that, as I got into underwater photography, the jacket style does allow the diver to orient themselves vertically to take the picture. For me, this was not a big enough advantage to stay with a jacket style BCD. As I moved to a Back Inflate BCD, I found that it was far more comfortable, allowed me to trim myself significantly better and had options that meant that I could find one to meet my needs as my needs changed. I did, however find that they often were inherantly positively buoyant. My impressions after using a BP/W on this last trip were that I was truly surprised at how comfortable it was. (Although, since I was diving in a swimsuit & rash guard not a wetsuit, I did find that the crotch strap "chaffed" by the end of the week. Some might view that as "TMI" but I thought that it was relevant to the discussion about comfort.)

There are Pros & Cons to each of the basic types. We can relate our experiences, and what we have found works for us, but what works for me might not work best for you. Ultimately, you will have to do what you believe is right for you. Take an honest look at the type of diving you do and the associated factors. If you want to travel, then a light weight back inflate BCD might suit your needs best as long as you know that it has its drawbacks. If you want to have a lot of flexibility and you want to trim yourself out, then perhaps a BP/W might be your best option.

One last thought to keep in mind ... Whatever you choose as your first BCD, in time, your needs will likely evolve and things that you never considered may become "Go/No Go" factors. Your first BCD is exactly that. It is your first. It is not likely going to be your last.

Does anyone have a photo of a quick release on a bp/w harness to show me what that looks like? Was going to thread a hogarthian webbing myself, but I’d like the convenience of a shoulder quick release.
This is the rig that I currently use:
dr-t3500-xl_1.jpg

Available here

Quick release is great for getting out of your gear. I mainly use this for single tank diving but if and when I go into tech with doubles, I'm not convinced a QR buckle would be able to withstand the weight of doubles. If I had to start all over again, I would probably go hogarthian style straight webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom