Differences between Faber HP100 and Worthington X7-100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I own Faber HP100s and dive them as singles. No problems. I keep hearing about Worthington X7-100s though. People seem to love them. Could some of that be because they are no longer manufactured?

They appear to be about 4 pounds lighter than Faber HP100s and a little bit shorter.

What's ideal about the X7-100's buoyancy?

Worthington X7-100 3442 99.5 12.20 7.25 22.7 33.1 -2.5 -10
Faber HP100-HDG 3442 100 12.90 7.25 25.3 34 -0.59 -8.41

For me I would take the Faber for singles because dry weight is basically the same but not quite as negatively buoyant. Which for me is important because I require little weight. I was diving a 7mm with an Al tank and needed only 16 lbs of weight. So the Worthington would be great with that but in warmer water I could be overweight. Though a 1-2 lbs is not going to make much difference.

FWIW I have Faber LP85 for doubles for the same reasons, dry weight is less and not as negatively buoyant as the Worthingtons.

I own Faber HP100s and dive them as singles. No problems. I keep hearing about Worthington X7-100s though. People seem to love them. Could some of that be because they are no longer manufactured?

They appear to be about 4 pounds lighter than Faber HP100s and a little bit shorter.

What's ideal about the X7-100's buoyancy?
4lbs difference?
The 3442psi Faber (not the 3180+ Faber) and the 3442 Worthington are about 1.5lb different, The worthington is less than an inch shorter and holds a tiny bit less gas.
Updated SCUBA tank specifications list -- in PDF and spreadsheet | ScubaBoard

There is nothing ideal about the worthington except that they have nicer trim characteristics in freshwater as sidemount tanks with nitrox in them. Not as heavy as the PST or Faber 100s, not as long with resulting light tails as Faber lp85s. Outside of that specific application you are grasping at straws to try and tell them apart on your back.

I have 4 Worthington HP100s but only because they were the only hot dipped tanks available as new tanks when I bought them. That is what mattered to me not the brand. If buying new today I’d gladly buy HDG Faber HP100s (if I could find them). I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference between them diving them as a single tank.

I figure each one is ideal for certain configuration.

When I changed to hp100"s I started with a couple of Worthington X7's I loved them right away, years later I decided I wanted a couple more but the prices were ridiculous, so I went with used ones. Took a while but a couple of PSTs E series came along and I never imagined there would be much of a difference.

But there is a difference in size and weight, I'm getting used to them but still like the X7's better.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. What is special about Worthington X7? How come they have the same internal volume, but Worthingtons are lighter but less buoyant?

Sorry for hijacking this thread. What is special about Worthington X7? How come they have the same internal volume, but Worthingtons are lighter but less buoyant?
Lighter does not mean less buoyant. Buoyancy is about displacement. The Worthingtons are slightly smaller as they have a different form factor than the Fabers and thus lighter and less buoyant.

Lighter does not mean less buoyant. Buoyancy is about displacement. The Worthingtons are slightly smaller as they have a different form factor than the Fabers and thus lighter and less buoyant.
Let's talk about Archimedes' principle. Buoyancy is about displacement, true, which is the summation of the internal gas volume plus the volume of steel. Since both Worthington and Faber hold 100 cf of gas at 3442 bar, they have exactly the same internal volume.

I'm too lazy to type out the equations, but when both tanks have the same internal volume, since steel is heavier than water, the more steel used, the less buoyant the tank is. It is impossible to have a tank that uses less steel but is also less buoyant.

I think the only explanation is Worthington has slightly smaller internal volume than Faber, which means it holds less gas than Faber at the same pressure.

Let's talk about Archimedes' principle. Buoyancy is about displacement, true, which is the summation of the internal gas volume plus the volume of steel. Since both Worthington and Faber hold 100 cf of gas at 3442 bar, they have exactly the same internal volume.

I'm too lazy to type out the equations, but when both tanks have the same internal volume, since steel is heavier than water, the more steel used, the less buoyant the tank is. It is impossible to have a tank that uses less steel but is also less buoyant.

I think the only explanation is Worthington has slightly smaller internal volume than Faber, which means it holds less gas than Faber at the same pressure.

They in fact don’t have the exact same internal volume. They are called X7-100 tanks but neither hold exactly 100 cf. Just like AL80s don’t hold 80 cf of gas.

Worthington X7-100s have a capacity of 99.5 cf.
Faber X7-100s have a capacity of 101.3 cf.

Back
Top Bottom