Differences between 2nd Stages B2,ST1, T3, T2X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesterDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I'm interested in getting an Atomic 2nd stage. I already have a T3 1st and 2nd. Specifically looking for a 2nd stage to go on my necklace but don't want one of the octo 2nds that come in yellow.

I'm looking at the ST1, B2, T3, T2X. My understanding is that these specific 2nd stages are essentially all identical but I'm told they vary in pricing so I don't understand why there would be any cost difference.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you!

You are correct those second stages are the same mechanically and materially. The only real difference is the bling (and the cost associated with it). The main price difference is going to come from the swivel hose stainless vs titanium. Which is not needed for a backup.

My advise - buy a basic Z2 second stage. While you do not state it, the "octo" versions come with a 36" hose whereas a standard second stage comes with a 32" hose. The latter is preferable on a necklace.

PS welcome to da board.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and great advice!

I already have a nice length miflex hose that I'll swap into a new second stage. Although getting a Z series for the necklace was the same logical conclusion I came too also. It's definitely more cost effective since you're not paying for the additional swivel. I kind of want to go with one of the second stages that's all titanium inside just so that both seconds are consistent. I know there probably isn't going to be much if anyof a practical difference though. I'm hoping to maybe find a nice deal somewhere on a used atomic second stage so that I can justify the expense to myself lol!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom