Difference between scuba wetsuits and surfing wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The backzipper won't be felt beneath your tank, but backzip suits flush A LOT more than chest-zip suits! Less water flushing in your suit makes for a warmer dive. Chestzip suits are far warmer than the backzip. It's just a lot harder for new cold water to flush inside.

That being said, there are plenty of chest-zip surf suits, and all of the Semi-Dry surfing wetsuits all have a chest-zip. We have fallen in love with the Isurus wetsuits, which use the Airprene Neoprene all the way from Neck to Knees for the most insulation possible. They are just as warm as any dive wetsuit we've ever worn.

3mm and 3/2mm surf wetsuits are designed primarily to keep you just a little warm, but maintain the most flexibility possible. If you decide to purchase a surfing wetsuit for diving, I would definitely recommend at least a 4/3. Don't waist your time with anything thinner.

The backzipper won't be felt beneath your tank, but backzip suits flush A LOT more than chest-zip suits! Less water flushing in your suit makes for a warmer dive. Chestzip suits are far warmer than the backzip. It's just a lot harder for new cold water to flush inside.

Interesting, what kind of information do you base this conclusion on? Common sense would tell me it's the other way around: your back is covered with all sorts of gear, BCD, tank etc, so that would make it harder for water to get in with the zipper there, while your front is not covered by anything and open to the elements.

Interesting, what kind of information do you base this conclusion on? Common sense would tell me it's the other way around: your back is covered with all sorts of gear, BCD, tank etc, so that would make it harder for water to get in with the zipper there, while your front is not covered by anything and open to the elements.

I second that.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

From what I have seen of Patagonia wetsuits is they are top notch. Front zip, back zip whatever, the best is a climb thru neck, and that is what my back zip aka ZEN Zip.

I will agree with the idea that you might want a 4/3mm suit though. It is easy to pop the neck open and cool off, but very hard to warm back up. The water temp rating on the Patagonia R2 is for when you are on the surface not submerged. We just got my partner a 5mm for diving in 76 degree water, and she may need a hood.

2mm Body Glove shorty surf suit at Costco, $20.

Cuba in a week and a half, water temerature 29C / 84F

Worth taking along? Thinking of using with a long sleeved rash guard.

Another minor problem with surfing suits is zipper placement. Surfers lay down on their boards so the zipper is on the back for comfort. Exact opposite situation for divers. The zipper will be under the weight of your tank and pushing into you. This may not matter depending on your shape though.

Brent
I prefer wetsuits with back zippers. Both of mine have back zippers. Never noticed any rubbing at all. If anybody would, I would. I can't even stand tags in my clothing.

---------- Post Merged at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I see this thread is a month old, but, for the benefit of others who find this thread in a search I will add my 2 cents. I've been to the O'neill shop here in Santa Cruz and ruthlessly quizzed them about the neoprene in the surf suits vs. the dive suits and they were empathetic that the neoprene was the same in both. I have also heard that the different suits utilized differetn neoprene compositions, but, am wondering if this is perhaps not an issue anymore as wetsuits are more advanced (?). I have 3 oneill surf suits and one 7mm j-type oneill dive suit and they are all top quality. The seams are so sealed and the tight so good that I must have surfed for 6 months virtually daily before I began to feel water intrude. The dive suit is similarly "dry".
Actually, I think wetsuits are cheaper than they used to be. I have one from the early nineties that lasted and lasted. Nowadays, they wear out much faster.

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I see this thread is a month old, but, for the benefit of others who find this thread in a search I will add my 2 cents. I've been to the O'neill shop here in Santa Cruz and ruthlessly quizzed them about the neoprene in the surf suits vs. the dive suits and they were empathetic that the neoprene was the same in both. I have also heard that the different suits utilized differetn neoprene compositions, but, am wondering if this is perhaps not an issue anymore as wetsuits are more advanced (?). I have 3 oneill surf suits and one 7mm j-type oneill dive suit and they are all top quality. The seams are so sealed and the tight so good that I must have surfed for 6 months virtually daily before I began to feel water intrude. The dive suit is similarly "dry".
Actually, I think wetsuits are cheaper than they used to be. I have one from the early nineties that lasted and lasted. Nowadays, they wear out much faster.
That said, I've never had trouble finding great deals on tropical wetsuits. They always seem to be on sale somewhere for cheap. I don't think I've paid more than $100 for one.
Tip-use a cheap, nylon or Lycra skin when trying on wetsuits. The suits will glide on/off and you won't have to call 911 from the dressing room for the "Jaws of Life" to help with a rescue.

2mm Body Glove shorty surf suit at Costco, $20.

Cuba in a week and a half, water temerature 29C / 84F

Worth taking along? Thinking of using with a long sleeved rash guard.

Since nobody else answered, I will :D

I see no reason not to take it - worst case it isn't warm enough and I get a rental, which is the only other option for me anyway as I had no intention of buying yet more gear now.

Put it on today at the quarry - it really isn't warm enough for the quarry LOL - after our second dive with 1000 psi in the tank and did a weight check. 4 lbs versus 20 lbs with my 7mm fullsuit vs 24 with my 7mm john. Add a bit for salt water and I should be good to go.

Hey thanks for this thread, now I have an option to wear surfer's wetsuit.
I am desperate to find a decent wetsuit here in Indonesia. With the limited inventory and high import tax, I still have no success finding one; unless I buy a plane ticket all the way to Malaysia/Bali for shopping - a bit overkill for a newbie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom