Difference between scuba wetsuits and surfing wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see this thread is a month old, but, for the benefit of others who find this thread in a search I will add my 2 cents. I've been to the O'neill shop here in Santa Cruz and ruthlessly quizzed them about the neoprene in the surf suits vs. the dive suits and they were empathetic that the neoprene was the same in both. I have also heard that the different suits utilized differetn neoprene compositions, but, am wondering if this is perhaps not an issue anymore as wetsuits are more advanced (?). I have 3 oneill surf suits and one 7mm j-type oneill dive suit and they are all top quality. The seams are so sealed and the tight so good that I must have surfed for 6 months virtually daily before I began to feel water intrude. The dive suit is similarly "dry".

Ok, here's an update to my previous post above. I did a bit more research as I myself have been trying to decide if my Oneill 4/3 surfsuit which keeps me so toasty surfing here in Monterey Bay would be suitable for my tropical dive trip.

The information I'd managed to wrestle out of the employees at the Oneill shop in Santa Cruz right next to the Oneill headquarters wasn't sitting well with me just because of the somewhat bewildered and less-than-knowledgable sales staff who had to resort to looking at a catalogue to answer my questions about neoprene. They were basically clueless about neoprene which was really surprising given that Jack Oneill invented wetsuits in the 50's and the old man is still around and in charge. I'd been surprised that at what I thought was some pretty piss poor training by Oneill. Well, it turns out that that big shop with the big Oneill sign on it isn't actually owned by Oneill- someone licenses the name from them. Makes sense I guess if you're a wholesaler of surf gear to surf shops you can't really go and compete with your customers can you?) So, that's why the employees I spoke to don't know Richard about neoprene and were WRONG about there being no difference in surf vs. dive suits. There's a world of difference.

The neoprene itself CAN be the same, but, dive suits generally have a denser neoprene blend. This density adds some durability as it is less easy to tear, but, chiefly the more dense stuff retains it's characteristics (read warmth) better after repeated compressions.

The real difference is in the nylon or other fabric weave that is layered over the neoprene on the inside and outside. The strengh, thickness, and resistance to abrasion and tearing are what really set dive suits apart. Surfers realy only come into contact with eqipment (a board) in a couple places (butt, chest) so most of a surf suit can be light on the nylon layer cause there aren't a lot of rough edges to rip and tear at fragile neoprene. This light stretchy layer gives surf suits more stretch. Stretch is good if you're surfer, but, not so important for the relatively more sedate motions of divers in their element.

Dive suits on the other hand have burlier nylon because they have to contend with belts, buckles, boat gunwales, backplates, straps, etc etc. Your typical surf suit will be beat all to hell from 50 dives. Supposedly dive suits also have more attention paid to the seals at the neck, wrist, and ankles, but, I know my Oneill surf suits are meant to be pretty damn snug and indeed dry and they look and feel just like the ones on my Oneill dive suits.

I trust the fact that Jack Oneill basically invented wetsuits back in the 50's and pioneered many of the innovations that are standard in the industry like glued and blindstitched seams. I own 6 Oneill wetsuits- 3 for surfing and 3 for diving, one I bought yesterday. But, that being said, it seems like any manufacturer whose core business is wetsuits makes a good suit.

What is important are the fit, first and foremost, as the fit determines if there's going to be any water flushing in and out of the suit, something you do not want as the thin layer of water trapped in the suit is what warms you. Second is the construction. Fit should really be done at a shop as it's easy to get it wrong. As for construction, first, it has to have those glued and blindstitched seams or, better yet, fluid welded seams (no thread at all!). If not, the stretching and pulling you do to doff and don will eventually widen all the holes that flatlock stitched suits have and what began as water wicking through to chill you a bit will become more and more annoying and chilling, lessening the lifespan of your suit and your dives. Sure, it's cheaper right off, but, you'll pay in the end.

(The owner of Aquan Sports in San Carlos, CA was a great help in understanding the surf suit vs. dive suit issue and I'm mostly paraphrasing him here when i compare the two- Thanks Vince!)

ghoombahds:
I see this thread is a month old, but, for the benefit of others who find this thread in a search I will add my 2 cents. I've been to the O'neill shop here in Santa Cruz and ruthlessly quizzed them about the neoprene in the surf suits vs. the dive suits and they were empathetic that the neoprene was the same in both. I have also heard that the different suits utilized differetn neoprene compositions, but, am wondering if this is perhaps not an issue anymore as wetsuits are more advanced (?). I have 3 oneill surf suits and one 7mm j-type oneill dive suit and they are all top quality. The seams are so sealed and the tight so good that I must have surfed for 6 months virtually daily before I began to feel water intrude. The dive suit is similarly "dry".

Hehe, actually it's 4 years old, but hey, apparently it's still useful!

Bump for renewed interest-
Anyone have any new info on this subject? Sierra Trading Post has some great deals on Camaro surfing wetsuits....

Thanks! I just bought the Camaro C5-T. It's a 5/3- I figure it can compress a bit, and I'll still stay warm!

I have a HO Sport 3mm shortie that I dive warm water with. For the $35 I paid for it I consider it to be a disposable.

I'm looking for a 4/3 or a 3/2 for tropical diving.... I want a three quarter fullsuit (i.e. legs but short sleeves)... most of what is out there seems to be for surfers or kiteboarders.... having read this thread I looked up Camaro...

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-288/056862/Camaro-4-3mm-C-Two-II-Short-Sleeve-Jumpsuit.html

I noticed the disclaimer...
Designed for surfing, swimming, personal watercraft and other action sport activities - Not Snorkeling or Scuba Diving

This seems pretty emphatic....why would that be?

Anyway... if this route isn't an option can someone point me to a (preferably Canadian) source for a short sleeved fullsuit.

Hello. I have read the above advice and am now in a pickle. I was looking at buying a patagonia women's 2mm neoprene full length. (really enjoy the feel, flexibility and eco friendly manufacturing of these suits)
R2 Wetsuits | Patagonia
I plan to dive Indonesia in July and Mexico in Jan. Always sticking with the warmer waters.
should I purchase the 3mm or look at a dive wetsuit?

gracias!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom