Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shave the top 1/4" off my mustach and it helps substantially - however after January 1, the mustache (and beard) come off till next August :wink: 2/3 of my dives the mask does not leak... on other dives it leaks constantly and can't seem to stop it.

Aloha, Tim

Well, kind of. At least that's what I told my former girlfriend when I did it so she wouldn't get the pleasure of being the reason I actually shaved it off. Just kidding, it was for her but it did help seal my mask better. Of course that was nearly 15 years ago.

I have a moustache mask sealer that works... It's like chap-stick, but it smells better, and works better... PM me if you want to try one for free (if you do try, i'll need honest feedback on it)... "test marketing" I will possibly offer this product to dive shops in the near future.

masksealer.jpg

shaneeldeo:
I have a moustache (actually a goatee + moustache) and recently got certified. I have a Tusa Splendive II and it fits pretty good. No more leak than anyone else I don't think.

Shaneel

For the record...

A "goatee + moustache" is not technically called a goatee. It is called a "Van Dyke"

I've tried shaving the top 1/8 inch with a non-electric razor (as in blade) but find it hard to get an exact shave without cutting off more hair each time. How do others shave -- with an electric trimmer?

balder

jdemme:
I've tried shaving the top 1/8 inch with a non-electric razor (as in blade) but find it hard to get an exact shave without cutting off more hair each time. How do others shave -- with an electric trimmer?

balder

With a blade...carefully. I take more than an 1/8 more like a 1/4. So far the only person who made mention of the way I keep my moustache and beard was another diver who also sported a moustache and beard, and all he asked was if I dived.

I get more like 1/4 inch. The new Gillete Fusion is about the perfect razor for this problem. The multi blade head gives a very smooth shave on the cheeks above the beard, and it has a single blade for trimming on the back of the head, perfect for trimming under the nose. I used to have to use 2 razors, now I just keep this one on hand for dive days.

I used to use my regular razor to shave about 1/8" off of the top of my mustache. It definitely made an improvement, but it still wasn't perfect. My Dive Rite mask worked a little better than my Cressi with facial hair. I decided to shave it off a few weeks ago just for fun and now my masks fit perfectly. Honestly, I don't know if/when I'll grow it back.

howarde:
I have a moustache mask sealer that works... It's like chap-stick, but it smells better, and works better... PM me if you want to try one for free (if you do try, i'll need honest feedback on it)... "test marketing" I will possibly offer this product to dive shops in the near future.

masksealer.jpg

Man Howard you are "Living the dream" I got to get back into being a entrepreneur like you guys so I can play and have some fun!
Kevin taught me that trick on the Delta Splash and it works! and a purge mask helps too!
Good luck with you product set up a link and it will sell! as Carmex way to much smelly stuff it burns my eyes,and chapstick can look just,,, well bad if you dont mash it around and some one on the boat thinks well,,,I will let it lay!
Dive safe,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom