Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A few of the divers in our group have shaved off their mustache in order to get "the perfect fit" with their mask. A few others, myself included, found a mask that works with little or no leakage. Another group have taken to using one form or another og a petrolium of silicon based compound, rubbed it onto their mustache and gained a good seal that way.

Any opinions, thoughs, techniques?

Forgot to add a catagory, " Have a mustache, found a mask that fits". Anyone know how I can add this to the pole????

Originally posted by pt40fathoms
Forgot to add a catagory, " Have a mustache, found a mask that fits". Anyone know how I can add this to the poll????

Done! Do us Ladies have to vote? :wink:

Leaks. So what? I have to clear all the time. So the water in my mask comes in handy sometimes if I haven't properly prevented it from fogging up.

I live with it.

Thanks Dee.

You can vote if you like, but I'm hoping that only one catagory would fit! =-)

Actually, I have a full beard. My mask leaked like crazy in spite of greasing both the mask skirt and mustache. In addition it was messy, as well as a natural attractant for all kinds of waterborne particulate matter.

The best solution--in my case--turned out to be a combination of two actions: 1) getting a new mask with a narrower skirt, and 2) trimming the edges of my mustache/beard so that most of the hair was clear of the skirt.

There is still a small amount of leakage, but well within the amount I can live with.

Good luck with whatever leak cure you come up with.

Warren

I was advised to trim a small line between the bottom of my nose and the top of my 'stache.

Doing so and finding a mask that fit properly stopped all leaking.

I'm with windknot.

I have a short beard (9mm long -- along with the hair on the rest of my head).

I shave a strip about 3/8ths of an inch high between by 'stache and my nose and have no leakage problems associated with facial hair.

and it works great, and looks better too... new category added, vote away.

Sometimes my mask will leak, and sometimes it will not... so it's no big deal. Besides it can always clean the mask from fogging :wink: right?

Rich :mean:

Back
Top Bottom