Did you move for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't say I moved from Southern California to Atlanta FOR diving, but it definitely occurred to us that Atlanta's airport can get us to most Caribbean destinations (not to mention FL) in 2-3 hours. I often say Atlanta's greatest asset is the airport.

Atlanta's airport *is* a great feature when it comes to diving.

I haven't moved for one reason only - I love my job, and it is Atlanta-based. Else, I'd be in N FL. As it is, I'm in N FL 2 or 3 weekends/month. That's about a five hour commute each way, but the caves are worth it!

I can't say I moved from Southern California to Atlanta FOR diving, but it definitely occurred to us that Atlanta's airport can get us to most Caribbean destinations (not to mention FL) in 2-3 hours. I often say Atlanta's greatest asset is the airport.
It's been said that the only good things to come out of Georgia were I75 and I95. I guess we can add the Atlanta Airport to the list! :D :D :D

I have not moved, but I think about it every day. If Debbie and I moved, it would be, in order of preference, to either Maui, Mexico (Riviera Maya), or Florida. It may yet happen. Winter is setting in here. I don't ski, I dive.
DivemasterDennis

I'm loving reading this stuff! Keep it coming!

I have to say I'm somewhat interested in the FL panhandle. I've heard there is good fresh water diving in some springs, the caves (which im not 100% i would do or not) and some good salt water dives as well. Is that right?

I moved from Riyadh to Jeddah primarily to do more diving. Eventually left Saudi to UAE, fortunately some decent diving here on the east coast which is a two hours drive away from where I live.

I have to say I'm somewhat interested in the FL panhandle. I've heard there is good fresh water diving in some springs, the caves (which im not 100% i would do or not) and some good salt water dives as well. Is that right?

... I think that unless you got into cave diving, the springs would get old in a hurry ... they're just not that big or interesting.

However, the Gulf isn't that far away, and the diving there's pretty darn good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... I think that unless you got into cave diving, the springs would get old in a hurry ... they're just not that big or interesting.

Bob's right... the springs are awesome, but the variety isn't there unless you're into petting wet rocks! :D

As for the Panhandle, you need to define "close". When I lived in Orlando, I had to travel 2-3 hours to get to good diving. It was all around me, if I was ready to travel. Here in Key Largo, the boats are five to twenty minutes away. Now THAT'S close! We have more dive shops here than gas stations... over 30 in our zip code alone.

No, but check back with me when the kids grow up and move out. :wink:

Until then, there will continue to be a lot of Delta and [-]Continental[/-]United flights in my future.

John

Like I said earlier, Pensacola, is in my opinion a dive mecca. Yeah, the springs get redundant and boring, but the Gulf never gets redundant. I am 5 minutes from nearly any dive boat in the area, and just as close for some shore diving.

Where else can you drive 5 minutes, hop on a boat, and dive an aircraft carrier in the warm Gulf of Mexico waters?

Vis-a-vis N. Fl - you can only dive Devil's den or Blue Grotto so many times before it gets RRREEEAAAALLLLYYYY boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom