Did you Interview your OW Instructor?

Did you Interview your Instructor

• I interviewed: Instructor only

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I interviewed: shop owner/employee only

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I interviewed: Instructor and shop owner/employee

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • I interviewed: nobody....where's my CCard?

Votes: 44 53.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't interview anybody. Man did I screw up. :)

DennisW:
I didn't interview anybody. Man did I screw up.

Yeah, but, like me, you took your class before there was easy access to information about diving, questions to ask, etc.

I met my instructor in 1976. I took my class in 1983, so I had some idea of what to expect, but I never interviewed him. I was clueless about diving. I had no idea how to find out what questions to ask, I didn't know any divers other than my instructor. Forums such as this one were a distant future dream. I was very lucky in my class, but I wasn't aware of it until later when I saw how unskilled and clueless many divers are.

conversely - I teach through a dive shop (10 years), and have never had a student ask to interview me, for any type of class. I believe it is lack of concern or knowing what to ask, as the shop has no problem putting folks in touch with the instructor ahead of time, and in most cases the instructor for a given class is identified well in advance of folks siging up...

However most people get a pretty thorough briefing at the shop upon signup, but not so much about an individual instructor's style.

Last edited:
I saw a sandwich board outside a scuba shop that said "learn to dive". I thought, well, I'm going to be 40 soon and I've always wanted to dive, Jacques Cousteau articles in National Geographic and all that, so if I want to learn to dive I'd better do it now.

The person in the shop at the time was also the instructor, and I think my "interview" was something like Blackwoods'.....

how much?
how long?
what equipment do I need?

That was 11 years ago. I only regret that I didn't do it when I was 20, I'd have had more time diving.

My OW course was a Fathers' Day gift from my kids, I didn't even meet the instructor until the 1st classroom session however I did know the owners of the shop (for a number if years they were practically next door to my office).

For my AOW I waited until the course was being taught by the owner of my current LDS (he'd also done my Nitrox & drysuit courses).

I went to the several LDS in my area and looked around. Asked questions about their operation like how long have you been in business and what are your capabilities of servicing equipment. Asked for tours of their facilities. Found the one I thought best capable of training me. I did get emails from my future instructor and talked to him on the phone a couple of times concerning the initial paperwork. So I had already signed up for the class when I did get in contact with him. One of the most important things in my opinion is that they had been in business for 50 years! Looked like a reputable deal to me. They are also trained professionals in helping me spend my money. They get all the discretiary income I can afford, I willingly give it to them. They have me very well trained!

Another cheater...

I dove for about a decade before I got my OW. I finally could connive another fill out of my dad's Navy buddies, so I went looking for a shop. Walked in a few times, BS'd with the owner and staff, chose an instructor, and elected for personal instruction. Sat through the videos (SSI), stopped by for a few pool check outs, and joined an existing class for OW. 41 degree air, 43 degree water, bbrrrr!

I'd have to say, getting to know the instructor before the course, particularly if you don't know anything about it, IS an interview. You're putting your health and life in the hands of this person, and you need to know you can comfortably interact and learn from them.

Mike

I didn't interview my heart surgeon who literally held my life in his hands, let alone my first diving instructor, who simply had an inflated opinion of his own ability to transmit knowledge and demonstrate skills. Somehow, despite my recklessness, I survive.

Plus I was only 12 years old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom