Did you guys know that this was a "hidden" forum??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the "public" can't see this...until Pete told me...:confused:

What do you guys think about the admission charge for DEMA this year?? I have a LOT of dealers who simply refuse to pay the $70 admission, and aren't coming....wasn't it like $15 or $20 last year??

Scott

Hidden indeed. I dont think $70.00 is too much. Now that we have a secret place to talk, what will we say????

Good to see you again. I hope the show was a success for you guys.

Best,

hmmm. seems like it's not too hidden...

Some dealers got bent over the charge, one thing I really expected this year (because traditionally Florida DEMA's are the worst) is the horde of DM's on Friday afternoon and Saturday with the "I brought my busted XXXX, I'm a DM so you really should hand me a new one now even though the busted one has 2000 dives and is ten years old". It didn'y happen this year.... (Zac, remember in Miami when I was handed the petetion for Mares to bring back the Quattro L in size 4-5 for female divemasters??)

I'd like to talk about the choice the shops are being faced with. We have PADI and all of us that participate here begging the dealers to in some way at least understand the Internet and realize that the in store business plan needs to be adjusted and the there is SSI, SP and AL sticking to the anti internet (which translates in shop by some dealers to anti consumer which then becomes anti all LDS on here...)message.

I'm honestly worried, way too high a % of my shops are hurting in the cash flow department and trying to adopt a "just in time" approach to inventory. It make sense until you realize that the online guys are selling selection, convience and availability more than just price. (Price is the door kicker, the other stuff holds their cust)

I'm all for natural selection where the healthy survive, I'm just worried that some great shops are in effect doing exactly what they have been told will work by the "industry stakeholders" they interact with which be to brutal has been a dismal failure. It almost seems sometimes that the ones that remain anti internet are actually doing it because they believe it's what the shops want to hear which means more business from the pie for them than the rest of us. Problem I see is that pie will continue to shrink until there is no room for anybody except Sheiko....

XJae:
hmmm. seems like it's not too hidden...

It should have been, I'm going to talk with Pete (netdoc) later today so that ONLY the manuf and board staff (pete and admins, only a couple of us) can talk in here, that way we can have more free exchange.

I like the price to get in, the " I should get someing for free cause I am a instructor " was at an all time low for myself .

My 2 cents;

If you are going to allow DM's and Instructors in (and I think you should) and if you have a reasonable means to verify their credentials why do you need to further "pre-qualify" via an absurdly high cost of admission?

There will always be people at tradeshows with their hands out. We come prepared with some nice freebies to pass out.

If somebodies going to be upset that you don't replace their 10 year old whatever for free, do you really need them as a customer? Just say no.

I do not advocate letting in the "freinds of the shop" A tradeshow should be for trade only. There are enough consumer shows for the public.

On the other hand using Admission $$ to shape the demographic seems an awfully blunt tool.

Tobin

cerich:
It should have been, I'm going to talk with Pete (netdoc) later today so that ONLY the manuf and board staff (pete and admins, only a couple of us) can talk in here, that way we can have more free exchange.

Moderator staff as well, but interestingly enough, most mod's are involved with the industry in one way or another either as a dive pro, scientific research, shop owner/emp, or mix of the above. Most of those who aren't are on their way there.

Just to be clear as to where I stand. I am pursuing an instructor rating and want to open a training center in south central FL based on a freshwater lake in the absolute most strategic location you could ever find for having an instate based training site available. I also work at a dive shop part time, technology guy full time to make a living.

cerich, I am so in agreement with you. The shop I work for is very minimalist in concept, they don't even file certs online but even then they've cut cash flow out down so much... I'm not going to talk bad about them because I've learned so much there as to what I would do different that they're really great teachers. However, I don't know how long this nearly bare approach will keep this facility open. The traffic of customers there is not very high.

addendum - I poorly conveyed that they are definitely on a hunt for cash flow when to me its obvious where it is - i-net!

cerich:
Don't bother.

I've closed it for all but Gang Green, Dive Equipment Manufacturers, SB Ad Reps and Scuba Media & Publications.

El Orans:
Don't bother.

I've closed it for all but Gang Green, Dive Equipment Manufacturers, SB Ad Reps and Scuba Media & Publications.

Thanks, I REALLY don't want to play too much in the admin area!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom