Did ya'll Local Yocals Hear About The Superferry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, this guy told me they "built it wrong" not in compliance with the fuel tank COI requirement they must meet to operate. ooopsie.

Somebody tell krisB and halemano, they will be happy that Wildcard and I and all the Honolulu trash will not be invading their pristine islands for awhile.

I think they really played a tricky dicky with the pricing....they printed in the paper forever that it would be soooo affordable to all the poor struggling Hawaiian families who never get to see each other......

thats "unpalatable" as leeann would say....or BS as I would say.

I better shut up, or I could be blacklisted and not allowed on.
I was hoping to take the Avalanche and pick up our new OLD boat trailer in Kona. Guess Young Brothers will be doing it.

Oahu divers are not unwelcome, and even sleeping on the side of the road I wouldn't call Catherine trash. Theoretically, all cars/trucks must have valid registration, insurance and licensed drivers, so that pretty much culls the poor trash. If our roadways were held to that standard there would be no traffic jams. Last Sunday there was a help wanted add in the Maui News for a landscaping position requiring "dependable vehicle and valid state ID".

I'm sure I spent way too much time composing a post with all the sorrid details that is now lost to the eithernet with all those other post of the last few months. At first the pricing made it sound like visiting an island one hop away would be similar in cost to flying and renting a car for a week. Now it looks like it will almost be worth it if you factor in getting a room vs sleeping in your vehicle. Oahu-ites have three enticing destinations, as of '09 when (if) the Big Island ship comes on line. For Outer Islanders, Oahu is the only financially compareable destination, so the ferry is much less anticipated by us.

If a hundred car campers came to Maui every trip to stay for an average of a week, after stabelization there would be 700 extra car campers on the side of Maui's roads every night (1,400 after second ship comes on line). Thats a lot of campers.

Somebody tell krisB and halemano, they will be happy that Wildcard and I and all the Honolulu trash will not be invading their pristine islands for awhile.

Catherine -- as long as you remembered your swimsuit bottoms when you came, I wouldn't consider you trash. :D

how do you know about that??

Okay, you two need to keep us informed on the environmental side.

Have thgere been updates in the news?

nice sunsets....

"how do you know about that??"
You talk too much, everyone knows about that:wink: Most everyone knows about the abandon ship incident too:14:

whatever

I need some new stories

so...halemano, what is your point about the "valid state ID?" that this might be a trend? State assuming power in a Federal vacume, or what?

I think the point was that a vehicle was required, but not a valid drivers license, just valid state ID. In Hawaii, at least, there is a difference between the two.

OH!!!!!

man....that's crazy.

they won't let my housekeeper through the gate because she doesn't have one, I have to pick her up at the park. private VS gubment

I am getting fed up with America.---everything seems backwards all of a sudden. before you know it halemano will be a Republican. (we need more environmental ones, HM, you would be welcome whenever you want to switch teams) Come on over, let's get some stuff done around here.

I'm going to focus on Ko ko marina management and the trash down there real soon. Need photos first, and a sockpuppet so they don't throw me out of the slip. Any volunteers? Basically, they have tenants businesses and no friggin trash cans or clean up crews. Do we want hawaii kai to be the kewalo basin?

Cigarette butts! in the water, I'm getting angry. Before they took over, it was not like this. people actually put their ice cream cups and trash in my rinse bucket. I might hide on the boat and blast them with the hose.

back to the ferry....that article about how they covered their butts with subsidies even if they are a losing proposition got my attention. That is Hawaii, oh don't worry, I'll pay my 4.5% on my son's tutor bill, no problem.
And tax people's prescriptions while you are gouging us.

But if the ferry loses money---hand them a check. WHY?

What? do you want a bunch of illegal canadians working here? They need ID for a reason.

I did some basic math for myself and here is what I came up with.

4 day trip to Maui for 4 people (3 days of diving because you have to wait to fly)
RT airfare $260
Hotel $200
Rental car $130
Rental gear $240 (figured at $20/day/person)
Meals (eating out/depends upon places) $200
$810 total/ $203/person

Ferry for same trip and 4 days of diving since you don't have to wait
1 minivan and one passenger (roundtrip ticket) $295
3 extra people (one way airfare) $100
3 people (one way back on ferry) $215
All own gear (except tanks) $0
Sleep in tent and van $0
Food in ice-chest for weekend $100
$710 total/ $178/person

So, at 3 days you would about break even, but even at this close of a race I would still choose the ferry, because you get an extra day of diving, don't have to wait in the airport for your luggage, can take your own gear without having to worry about packing it wet, don't have to take the time to get/drop off your rental car, don't have to wait around the airport at both ends, can carry food with you and so on.

This is just based on my usage of the ferry. For day trips or a 2-3 day trip with only 2 people that you weren't necessarily diving, then yes, the airport would be the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom