Did Venice beach dive today 8/15.. and the storm..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taildragger:
I think I might like to try a snorkel dive there. I wouldn't want to waste the air if the vis is to bad like it has been.

Howdy Warren.. I would have to speculate that you will not see much snorkeling.. The vis. is probably still too stirred up.
Did FantaSea Scuba building make it thru the storm OK? I know their stretch of US41 got hit hard..

It looked to me like Fantasea did just fine. Jim boarded the windows, and they still have a roof, at least. I haven't seen if there was any damage to the back of the building, though.

I forgot my Regs at PG, so I have to stop by Florida West (I'm not going back to PG until Tomorrow, not even for my regs :)).

Alhambra.

The best time to hit the beach is morning. Afternoon showers are almost daily during the summer, and the wind also picks up a bit. Vis tends to start to drop a little towards afternoon.

Hope you find a bunch of teeth down there today. I would go, but with gas in scarse supply it seems foolish for me to try to make it down there with the remaining amount of fuel and try to find some to return with - or get stranded of course. Will be back in the shark tooth hunt some day soon.

about 7'.

Surprisingly, not many teeth. I came back with 43, including 3 snaggletooths, but the big catch of the day belongs to bdrannik.

And you are just gonna leave us hanging.....waiting.....for Brian.....to finally post a report....must be a meg....

8/17/04 Venice Beach dive went well with ReefGuy and TailDragger. There were four other dive flags out besides ours. Visibility was actually better than expected, ranging from "not too bad" to "better than usual for Venice". Found a few teeth, mostly Sand Tigers, and a smaller Meg that's in excellent shape.. (Yes, Scuba_Jenny, you guessed correctly) I'll post a photo next to a quarter after I borrow a buddies digital camera.. My first complete Meg so I'm afraid my head might have looked like my avatar for a bit underwater.. ReefGuy, did the fish at Venice seem "friendlier" to you? I've never had the fish come up and interact with me at Venice before... Maybe the morning shower helped? hehe..

Thanks to ReefGuy for taking my compass and leading the way to the teeth.. :) (His rental console didn't have a compass) Also, TailDragger mentioned later in the day that he enjoyed his first saltwater dive very much - I'm sure he'll jump in here to comment eventually.

Since it's technically a "Venice Beach dive AND storm" thread: This morning I'm off to meet TailDragger at his house, and then we are off to a buddies to tear the damaged Lanai and pool screen enclosures off the back of his house.. Let the tear-down/rebuilding begin...

Off Topic: ReefGuy, not sure if you're into aviation or not, but TailDragger got to fly in an AT-6 (Navy SNJ) warbird from Florida up to Oshkosh, WI for the EAA Aviation Expo.. Sounded like a very interesting trip.. Ask him about it the next time we dive if your into aviation and/or warbirds.. If I remember correctly the 600hp? radial engine burned something like 35-38 gallons per hour.. Ouch..

Scuba_Jenny:
And you are just gonna leave us hanging.....waiting.....for Brian.....to finally post a report....must be a meg....

Uhm... ReefGuy=Jeff, TailDragger=Warren, bdrannik=Brent.. Or did you meet one of my "other" personalities??? (four of us dive, the other one is just a bubble watcher) :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom