Did ScubaBoard sweep the Solo forum under the rug again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see it. How do I get in?

upload_2016-10-4_10-39-20.png

In the user group place it says I'm "free to join" Solo Divers. But I am able to post there, so don't know what that means. Actually, I thought I did join long before the "changeover". There was a big discussion years ago about why it's in the tech. forum. I agree with those who say the self-reliant skills should be taught in OW. Now, that probably wouldn't include whatever else is taught in the Self Reliant (or Solo) course, like whatever redundancies should be used--I don't know exactly what's in the course as I have had no opportunity to take it here. Anyway, I would think it should be either in Basic, or probably better in the Advanced as a sub forum. I found it interesting that the PADI OW course (and I assume other agencies) make no mention of solo diving in the ('05...) manual--just all the info. on the benefits of buddy diving (and none of the "non-benefits"). Yet when I was assisting, occasionally I was asked about solo diving. Many dive solo and it is not something that should simply not be mentioned to OW students. Kind of like saying the best way to avoid disease and other problems is to not have sex. Period.

I found it interesting that the PADI OW course (and I assume other agencies) make no mention of solo diving in the ('05...) manual--just all the info. on the benefits of buddy diving (and none of the "non-benefits"). Yet when I was assisting, occasionally I was asked about solo diving. Many dive solo and it is not something that should simply not be mentioned to OW students. Kind of like saying the best way to avoid disease and other problems is to not have sex. Period.
In fact I have a letter from Drew Richardson stating emphatically that PADI did not condone solo diving, wasn't a fan of solo diving, and would never offer a solo diving course.

I can dig it up if you'd like. I guess it was true, PADI does not offer a solo diving course.

I added my inability to see the forum to the Site Support post @lowviz created. Maybe more of us need to gripe or rant a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom