Did I get ripped off????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...
unless you suspect contamination. Unless of course you get to charge for it, then it is as often as the traffic will bear! :tease:

Now Doc old buddy, that almost sounds like an accusation. As a matter of fact all my divers who need O2 clean tanks have learned to clean their own so I don't make chit. And BTW, this only works if I trust the person. People travel and their tanks are filled at all sorts of places. Some will do a good job of cleaning and inspecting and some won't. I have no way of knowing unless I do it myself or just have faith. Some contamination, IMO, must always be suspected and if I have any doubts for any reason I'm not pumping the O2. The more often it's cleaned the less there is to worry about no matter where it was filled. We (knocking on wood and crossing fingers) haven't had an accident yet but it happens. If you get a chance, talk to the guys at Global. There are a few every year. Talk to Chickdiver, she just about had her hand taken off when a valve went.

But then again what's one's health, life or livelyhood (after they pay for the building they take out or the passer-by they cook) next to your $50.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Does that mean I should have my tank cleaned every time I take the valve out to travel on an airplane?

Some of the shops up here insist every time the valve is removed it has to be re-vipped. Some shops won't accept other shops' VIPs either.. It is really funny sometimes..

O-ring once bubbled...

Some of the shops up here insist every time the valve is removed it has to be re-vipped. Some shops won't accept other shops' VIPs either.. It is really funny sometimes..

Down here too.:grrr:

O-ring once bubbled...

It's like decompression...if you think it's ok and it works you were right. LOL

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

It's like decompression...if you think it's ok and it works you were right. LOL
I ain't saying I play ball with all of it, but that's how they do it here... :D

that was said in jest.

When you say accident... you aren't refering to an explosion are you? As far as I know of, that has never happened due to contamination. Not that I have read every single tank failure, but I have yet to have heard one go while being filled with O2.

The issue with contamination is the resultant CO. You would have to have a LOT of HCs to splode the tank.

NetDoc once bubbled...
that was said in jest.

When you say accident... you aren't refering to an explosion are you? As far as I know of, that has never happened due to contamination. Not that I have read every single tank failure, but I have yet to have heard one go while being filled with O2.

The issue with contamination is the resultant CO. You would have to have a LOT of HCs to splode the tank.

hehe I know it was in jest but you have to be careful, there are impressionable ears about . LOL

You are right in that you are probably more likely get a FIZ and a tank full of "smoke" than a BOOM and a crater. But there are stories like Chickdivers valve.

You know what, I have seen what happens when there is an O2 fire inside a cylinder. Its a little scary...

I still cringe every time I fill O2 into a tank that I didnt personally clean. This O2 clean stuff is not a game. People take it for granted.

I cant believe that you feel that a tank stays clean even through a HYDRO NetDoc. Yeah, sure its only tapwater... What is in tapwater??? you dont really know... Would you take a swig of water out of the tap? Why not??? its only tapwater...

Bottom line is: you cant be too safe. I'm sorry, but I'm the one filling these tanks with straight O2 . YOU PLAY BY MY RULES, or you can get your tank filled somewhere else...

I drink my water straight from the tap. None of this sissy spring water crap for me! Heck, when I clean a tank I rinse it with this same stuff... so I am not sure what you are implying. Do you rinse your tanks with de-ionized water???

How the hell do you clean a tank to make to O2 clean?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom