Did I get ripped off????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless the tank has been contaminated in some form, there is no need to re-O2 clean it; bear in mind that a hydro will indeed contaminate it and it will need to be recleaned after on of those.

At the shop where I work it's $10 for a VIP and $20 to clean a tank. $5 plus parts for the valve or manifold. And a side note, most new tanks do not need to be cleaned prior to use, they come that way from the manufacturer.

Here we are equipped to handle a new tank if it needs a good wash prior to be sold and we do not charge the customer for that. Also, your first EANx fill is on us.

O-ring once bubbled...

That's dirt cheap...$11 for a VIP and a nitrox fill or an air fill? Nitrox fills here are about $8. The cheapest shop I know of around here charges about $12 for a VIP and o2 cleaning is $50 pretty much anywhere you take it..
Yeah, that is dirt cheap, I was amazed. My old shop charged $15 for the VIP plus $11 for the fills. I asked if they were sure that's all it was. :)
I really like this shop so far.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
Yeah, that is dirt cheap, I was amazed. My old shop charged $15 for the VIP plus $11 for the fills. I asked if they were sure that's all it was. :)
I really like this shop so far.
I would stick with them too! Order a new drysuit and some tanks just in case they go out of business though :wink:

lal7176 once bubbled...
Well that sucks i was under the impression that O2 cleaning was a one time thing unless it was somehow got contaminated by not using the proper grade air. My tanks are due next month for a visual. Ill be darned if im gonna pay for another O2 cleaning. Luckily there is a shop where i dive that has banked 32% NOX instead of partial pressure filling.

Tanks need to be re-cleaned. There is a potential for a small amount of contamination with any fill and the effects on the tank are cumulative. To think that once clean means always clean doesn't make much sense.

I clean mine when I visual it. I won't pump O2 into a tank that was cleaned x number of years and fills ago and never again. Others can pump O2 into anything they want though. LOL

NetDoc once bubbled...
I took PSI's class. You do NOT need to re-clean a tank after a vis. I would wonder how they would have responded that it was filled with only their air.

Interesting. Are they teaching that a tank only needs to be cleaned once?

I can tell you how I would respond...My filter system is designed to provide air with a condensed oil and particulate content below a certain level. My quarterly analysis confirms that it does. However being below that level does not mean that there are Zero contaminents and those contaminents build up on equipment over time.

02 clean $35 - $50 depending on the shop (redone every year at a lower rate if done at the shop that did it the first time).

EAN fill 10$ (Partial Pressure or banked)
Note: Membrane guys will not fill an 02 clean tank without slapping a NO 02 sitcker on it thereby screwing it up for the partial pressure guys.

Air $5

Western NC and Upstate SC

with a blacklight or fluoroscope. However... partial pressure filling continually "cleans" tanks as you go. That's right. The danger in contaminates is NOT an explosion. Rather it's carbon monoxide poisoning from the combusted contaminates. Everytime you introduce pure oxygen in a tank, all those nasty wittle hydrocarbons get oxidised partially or in whole, and you breathe it out with the rest of the gas. If it has been really bad, you will see carbon in the cylinder, but that is extreme.

As for hydrostatic testing contaminating a cylinder... how? They use plain ol' tap water and it gets dumped after every tank (not recycled).

NetDoc once bubbled...
with a blacklight or fluoroscope. However... partial pressure filling continually "cleans" tanks as you go. That's right. The danger in contaminates is NOT an explosion. Rather it's carbon monoxide poisoning from the combusted contaminates. Everytime you introduce pure oxygen in a tank, all those nasty wittle hydrocarbons get oxidised partially or in whole, and you breathe it out with the rest of the gas. If it has been really bad, you will see carbon in the cylinder, but that is extreme.

As for hydrostatic testing contaminating a cylinder... how? They use plain ol' tap water and it gets dumped after every tank (not recycled).

So I repeat my question. How often do you need to clean a tank?

unless you suspect contamination. Unless of course you get to charge for it, then it is as often as the traffic will bear! :tease:

Does that mean I should have my tank cleaned every time I take the valve out to travel on an airplane?

O-ring once bubbled...

AFAIK, places down here want to redo the o2 cleaning after the VIP or any time the valve is removed.. is SOP for dive shops, but I can only comment on the VA/NC area...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom