Did I get a fire coral sting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I'm reading here it seems as if reactions to fire corals and hydroids are more of an individual thing and can vary greatly from one individual to the next.

I'm typically not very sensitive when it comes to skin issues in general but there are exceptions. Several years ago I was snorkeling at Chankanaab Park with my young daughter during her first attempt. Had to adjust her mask so I draped one arm over the buoy rope while treading water and took care of the mask. Got my daughter situated and within a minute or two the whole side of my chest and inner arm were bright red and on fire. :shocked2: Got out of the water and one of the park employees was nice enough to douse with me vinegar. That helped lessen the severity but it still hurt badly for a good 2-3 hours and basically ruined my visit to the park. Glad my daughter didn't follow dad's lead. To this day I still don't really know what was on that rope :idk: but I don't touch anything in the water unless I absolutely have to.

Somebody here mentioned not wanting to cruise the reef with their face but one of my favorite dives is sailing along Punta Tunich with face down close and fins up. Have to maintain buoyancy and stay alert for hydroids and other stingy things though!

Went diving in Curacao from July 24-31st and about 4 days in got nipped by fire coral while holding an anchor line, first i felt the scratch than about a minute or 2 later here comes the fire, very impressive toxins these little animals pack. 4 days ago the stings went from being just small red patches between my thumb and index finger to being raised welts, but no liquid (ive seen pictures with stings with liquid in them). Havent put any medication on them yet, they havent really itched, and i hope they wont. HOW LONG IS THIS SUPPOSED TO LAST

Well, maybe not graphic but unpleasant to look at.

This happened about in March 2009 at Cozumel. I was looking at something while in current, and a quick brush with something delivered this. Slightly painful at first but very itchy and I made the mistake of vigorously scratching the top of my hand, guaranteeing the spread all over. It was my last day of diving.

It took 1 month for my hand to look a bit better and much longer for the sites to disappear. No pain or itching but it just took its sweet time to go away. YMMV.

Attachments

• Fire Coral 2.jpg
    Fire Coral 2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 7,880
Looks familiar Selo. :eek:

I did a stride from a NC boat once with my forehead hitting a jelly of some kind. Didn't hurt until I got out of the water. Had a scab on my head that lingered a month. Eh, it's an adventure sport.

The only part that I did not like about that episode is that I had to cancel a dive at Catalina Island a week after my return to Los Angeles as I was in no condition to put a glove on that hand.

But I am going to Cozumel in November for some more. :D

Just thought I'd post an update. The rashes are still there, but have dried up, faded a bit, and no longer itch. I ended up wiping with vinegar and applying both hydrocortisone and calamine lotion. I'm not convinced any of those actually helped, probably because the treatment was a whole week after the exposure. I think it just had to run its course. But thankfully, it’s looking like in another week or so it should be gone completely. From now on, I’ll be wearing a wetsuit at all times while diving in Coz!

Spector, It does take some time for the rash to resolve, so good to hear the condition is improving. The full wetsuit from now on is a great idea. I have always worn a full wetsuit , however, I chose not to on my second tank of the first dive of our last trip in July. The water that day was VERY warm and I did not have my skin with me on the boat. Even though it was somewhat nice to not be within the confinements of my suit, I must say that I was a little on edge looking out for hydroid and stinging critters. I wore my skin for the next day of diving and then back to my wetsuit thereafter as the water cooled down due to tropical storm Alex. Again, glad you are feeling better.

Just thought I'd post an update. The rashes are still there, but have dried up, faded a bit, and no longer itch. I ended up wiping with vinegar and applying both hydrocortisone and calamine lotion. I'm not convinced any of those actually helped, probably because the treatment was a whole week after the exposure. I think it just had to run its course. But thankfully, it’s looking like in another week or so it should be gone completely. From now on, I’ll be wearing a wetsuit at all times while diving in Coz!
I used to use calamine on skin irritations, and it seemed to feel good, but several studies debunked it, none supporting it. Hydrocortizone really seems best for the pain at least, but you have to grow new skin I think.

Update, its been about 3 weeks now and some of the redness is starting to turn to pink, and they arent nearly as raised as they have been, some of the out layers of skin are beginning to dry up and flake off, like dandy said i think you just have to wait for new skin to grow to take place of the affected skin...

Glad to hear NoleDiver5. One of the guys on the boat with us showed me his leg which had been stung by fire coral in several places. It happened years ago and he still had the scars from it. Nasty stuff! My hydroid sting is now brown in color. I'm really hoping it doesn't leave a permanent scar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom