Did Hotel Cozumel just TRIPLE their rates??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uff. i want to be in Coz already.

My office just announced we are boarding up our building and will be closed the day after election day because of possible civil unrest. I just want this year to be over.
Yo tambien. I strongly (desperately?) hope 2021 is better than 2020.

The Grand Occidental...week before Xmas 12-19th..$1083 for two (8 nights) with comfy room, good food and all the booze you can drink....the following week, twice as much! Diving xtra,

The Grand Occidental...week before Xmas 12-19th..$1083 for two (8 nights) with comfy room, good food and all the booze you can drink....the following week, twice as much! Diving xtra,
Insane!

My office just announced we are boarding up our building and will be closed the day after election day because of possible civil unrest. I just want this year to be over.
It's been a weird year alright, nothing like the old days. We have tree limbs and some power poles on the ground from a significant ice storm in October in Texas?!

Back to the original poster and questions...
When I first looked at the prices a month ago, a 5 night stay at Hotel Cozumel with all inclusive prepaid option came out at $420 for room and meals.
You should have booked that if it was with Free Cancelation as that would have locked in the price while you considered the options, free to cancel and rebook if the price went down or go elsewhere. The Free Cancelation option is a wonderful tool for the shopper while playing various properties against each other, and besides - it would seem foolish to book Nonrefundable anywhere this year, altho I guess some do if the price is appealing enough. In the latter case, Trip Insurance would be even more important - but then I wouldn't leave the US without that anyway.

When I looked at Hotel Cozumel booking site today, the all inclusive option for those same 5 nights is now $1279.
That must have been a reflection of the chaos for this weird year overall along with multiple hurricanes in the area lately, and the chaos did continue for a couple of days of changes at least. Now that the confusion has cleared, I see November 25-30 All Inclusive for $116/night or $697 plus taxes on Hotels.com. Still quite an increase, but that's it. I've done a week there All Incl and ate every meal there to avoid excessive hiking or solo taxis, and like any All Incl it got boring, but I was pleased overall. A foodie would want to dine out evenings tho. Anyway, this offer including Free Breakfast and All Incl is confusing, but if you extend it to book, it is indeed All Incl...

upload_2020-10-30_16-44-44.png

I like Hotels.com for their rate guarantees and free nights after ten, but to keep them honest I compare on Kayak.com. The option for Free Breakfasts only wasn't offered before, but on this site, I see the option to book thru Hotels.com Free Breakfasts only at $84/night or thru Trip Advisor at $65/night. If I wanted to go that way, I could book thru Hotels.com for the bonus credits, then demand that they honor the $65/night price offered online at the competitor. In fact, for the $50/night difference, I would go that way, then do the solo taxis to town for lunches and dinners. On arrival, I'd ask the hotel if they could offer All Incl for a minor upgrade, and they often will, but if not - fine.

upload_2020-10-30_16-57-2.png

I remember reading about Blue Angel, Casa Mexicana, and Scuba Club Cozumel - any of them would fit the profile?
I think so. I did not check their current offers, but those are good choices as well. At Scuba Club you'd have to dive with them, but the other two allow other Ops to pickup at their docks.

Not long after Hotel Coz announced joining the Wyndham franchise I looked up what would have been my usual winter trip. It took a bit of hunting to learn the new web site & find the AI option which we always take. There were the results & note that the hotel package would be exactly what I booked last trip on almost identical dates & it was just over $3900 US (& didn't include air or transfers to / from the airport. The price I found from Air Canada has recently dropped by almost $1000 Cdn which sure it tempting.
Booking - Mozilla Firefox 1032020 102050 AM.jpg
Booking - Mozilla Firefox 1032020 102211 AM.jpg
Air Canada Vacations - Mozilla Firefox 1042020 52028 PM.jpg

If booking through Dive Paradise the cost is significantly less, 5 nights-4 days/2 tank morning and 3 days/1 tank afternoon, AI 891.00 single occupancy.

If booking through Dive Paradise the cost is significantly less, 5 nights-4 days/2 tank morning and 3 days/1 tank afternoon, AI 891.00 single occupancy.
All Inclusive? Show me, please.

All Inclusive? Show me, please.

Below is pricing Nov-Dec 20 from DP website.
Speaking with the agent below and adding a day it came out to 891.00pp on the AI plan for end of Nov.

upload_2020-10-30_19-58-28.png

Yvonne
Dive Paradise Reservations Office

Toll-Free: 1-855-798-5300
Florida Office: 954-743-5310

Below is pricing Nov-Dec 20 from DP website.
Thanks. I could not get View Price to open. Looks nice.

If Wyndham is in control prices will go up and service / quality of everything go down. When they took over the Reef Club now Sunscape Sabor they totally did not do any maintenance let the place go to h_ll. Had sanitary pipes corrode and leak food quality go down room fixtures leaking door locks not working. Finally got bad enough that had to close temporarily due to legionnaires disease.

Covid 19 may be causing the rate fluctuations. Gov. mandate of no more than 50% occupancy will drive prices up as hotels fill fast. Just got back and our resort was at capacity but when I booked it was a sale to get people down there. Had to spend a night in town due to flight change and had a hard time finding a last min. room as even small local hotels were full.

BTW flights to and from Coz are running full due to reduced flights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom