Did Hotel Cozumel just TRIPLE their rates??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning to go to Cozumel in the end of November for the first time, so no first-hand knowledge of the area. Booked a flight about a month ago, and been taking my time looking for hotels, leaning towards Hotel Cozumel based on the reviews I was able to find.

When I first looked at the prices a month ago, a 5 night stay at Hotel Cozumel with all inclusive prepaid option came out at $420 for room and meals. Four days of 2 tank trips was $344, for a very reasonable total of $764 before tips and other accidental expenses.

When I looked at Hotel Cozumel booking site today, the all inclusive option for those same 5 nights is now $1279. There is also some kind of "opening special" that would give me the same room with breakfast only for $499.80, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples. Besides, I wasn't planning on going downtown for lunch/dinner every day.

I understand the hotel was recently purchased by Wyndham, but c'mon, tripling the prices for the same rooms overnight?! Really?!

Is anybody else is looking at the rates now? I still hope that I somehow misread the numbers or something, otherwise the SB would have exploded by now.....

Also, if I am reading the numbers right, what would be my next option that would put me in the same ballpark budget wise (up to $800 for dive/stay/food?). I don't care much for fancy accommodations, but would prefer a dive op at (or very close) to the hotel, and food either at the hotel or within walking distance. I remember reading about Blue Angel, Casa Mexicana, and Scuba Club Cozumel - any of them would fit the profile?

If you want private diving or private DM, I could do $344 per person for four two tank dives. I've heard HC has gone crazy with pricing - there's so many options here...

If you want private diving or private DM, I could do $344 per person for four two tank dives. I've heard HC has gone crazy with pricing - there's so many options here...

Where are you located, and do you have your own boat or work with some dive op? If I end up booking one of the hotels w/o a dive op, I very well may get in touch.

No idea why you referenced Hotels.com when using my post for a quote. I didn't make any mention of that site, so not sure what you are referencing with this reply.

That's precisely why he responded. You didn't mention any site and he wanted to state that Hotels.com shouldn't be seen as included in your general "obscure booking sites".

Where are you located, and do you have your own boat or work with some dive op? If I end up booking one of the hotels w/o a dive op, I very well may get in touch.

I live here in Cozumel. My friends own Blue Project, very friendly valet dive op.

I sent you a PM

That's precisely why he responded. You didn't mention any site and he wanted to state that Hotels.com shouldn't be seen as included in your general "obscure booking sites".
Some may suggest that you can get a better deal booking with the hotel direct, and that might make sense except that the hotels that contract with third party booking sites have to agree to not undercut rates posted on those sites. It's fine to book direct but prudent to compare prices between the hotel site and reputable booking sites.

I live here in Cozumel. My friends own Blue Project, very friendly valet dive op.
One might also assume that a hotel package that includes diving would be a discount package, but that's certainly not always the case. The package may be easy to buy & book, but may not save money, and just might cost more. It's worth crunching numbers. It's also a good idea when comparing dive trip prices to check if the rates posted include the massive 16% tax, the park fee, and free adjustments if you have to cancel any trips for any reason. I can't make out what the package prices are if booked thru Hotel Cozumel or thru Dive Paradise. Diving with DP seems to start at $90/trip on their faster boats, going up in December. Blue Project's site is quoting $85/trip on 3 or 4 trips, but I don't see where Chuck gets that it includes private DM? Salty Endeavors is quoting $80/trip before multi-trip discounts, Tres Pelicans starts at $78, and there are many others who would pick you up at Hotel Cozumel or at another dock.

When I first looked at the prices a month ago, a 5 night stay at Hotel Cozumel with all inclusive prepaid option came out at $420 for room and meals.
Now, Hotels.com has cleared up the confusion on their rates for Hotel Cozumel, well almost. They quote $104 to $110 for AI. For the $6 difference, I'd go for free cancelation, but then their site is listing All Incl and Breakfast for two both on the offering, then when you go to book, the rates go up to $116 before taxes with free cancelation - and I don't see All Incl on the booking page. I guess the chaos continues. I'd call to clarify that.

upload_2020-10-25_18-9-25.png

Now, Hotels.com has cleared up the confusion on their rates for Hotel Cozumel, well almost. They quote $104 to $110 for AI. For the $6 difference, I'd go for free cancelation, but then their site is listing All Incl and Breakfast for two both on the offering, then when you go to book, the rates go up to $116 before taxes with free cancelation - and I don't see All Incl on the booking page. I guess the chaos continues. I'd call to clarify that.

View attachment 620226

Maybe they are adding on that buck or so per night "eco" fee or whatever it is called?

but I don't see where Chuck gets that it includes private DM?

It was an offer from me personally because A) I'm bored and B) I just wanna see people have fun. That is not an offer from Blue Project, they are friends of mine - I have all the paperwork to work as a DM/Instructor legally here, but choose not to take jobs from locals. It's more of an incentive to get people valet diving.

Maybe they are adding on that buck or so per night "eco" fee or whatever it is called?
Ha, no that still gets collected additionally. It's Sunday, mistakes are made, and who knows how it will look after lunch tomorrow?

It was an offer from me personally because A) I'm bored and B) I just wanna see people have fun. That is not an offer from Blue Project, they are friends of mine - I have all the paperwork to work as a DM/Instructor legally here, but choose not to take jobs from locals. It's more of an incentive to get people valet diving.
Ah, ok, thanks. Nice gesture.

May I suggest that you skip the resorts and hotels and go for an apartment with a kitchen or kitchenette? I will be staying at a new complex called Casa Cocoa Cozumel. The owner, Patrick, used to rent out a large room at his house, but COVID killed that. His email is pmdonald@hotmail.com. While I haven't seen his new property personally, I trust Patrick completely.

Lately I've rented a car from Rentadora Isis and have enjoyed the island even more. When an apartment with be less than $50/night, your budget can handle all sorts of things.

May I suggest that you skip the resorts and hotels and go for an apartment with a kitchen or kitchenette? I will be staying at a new complex called Casa Cocoa Cozumel. The owner, Patrick, used to rent out a large room at his house, but COVID killed that. His email is pmdonald@hotmail.com. While I haven't seen his new property personally, I trust Patrick completely.

Lately I've rented a car from Rentadora Isis and have enjoyed the island even more. When an apartment with be less than $50/night, your budget can handle all sorts of things.
This is our mode of operation. We typically pay between $10 and $15 per person each night. Then we find our own beach with our rental car. And our dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom