Did anyone dive NC this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are great reports, and I hope everyone will continue to reports the rest of the summer after their weekend/weekday dives. I think I might just have to squeeze a trip down to Wilmington in before the summer is up.

Quick trip report, I'm on the clock.
Busy weekend of diving. Luckily the seas cooperated and we had smooth sailing all weekend.

June 4,05
Dredge Wreck, depth 65ft, temp 69
Vis was pretty good considering the crappy weather last week, it was around 30-40ft and blue instead green. No tropicals have moved in yet but there was a lot of marine life. My camera died so I only snapped a few pictures

8 mile ledge, depth 60ft, temp 69
This is a really silty site so the vis dropped to around 10-15 ft. The ledge did not seem as alive as I had seen it in the past. The divers still enjoyed it though.

June 5,05
Hyde, 85ft, temp 68
LISTEN TO YOUR BOAT BRIEFINGS. Some divers didn't listen to me give the boat and site briefing so I spent 75% of my dive rounding divers up that didn't follow the anchor to the wreck. When I finally got to the Hyde vis was about 40ft on the deck and got down to 20 on the bottom. Still no sharks. Didn't have time to take many pics.

Markham 85ft and 68 degrees
Vis was the same as the Hyde. There were a lot of large grouper, up wards of 20+ pounds. There were schools of bait fish everywhere and amberjacks and spanish mackerel were chasing them all over the place. Not a good camera weekend, lens fogged.

Liberty Ship 45ft and 70 degrees
We took student out for their checkout dives on one of the nicest lib ship dives I've done to date. Vis was around 30-40ft and blue which is unusual for this site. Sand tigers had been seen the day before but none were seen on this dive. Cobia and mackerel are in and we saw a few of them.

We had a spearfishing tournament this weekend and reports sounded the same, 30-40 ft of vis from inshore out to 52 miles east and 60 miles south. There was a potential world record hogfish weighed in shot by Mark Lobichetta (sp?) of Omer, 22 lbs. Thats a big hogfish, it will be verified today.

All in all a good weekend to be out on the water.

Pat

flounderer:
Liberty Ship 45ft and 70 degrees
We took student out for their checkout dives on one of the nicest lib ship dives I've done to date. Vis was around 30-40ft and blue which is unusual for this site. Sand tigers had been seen the day before but none were seen on this dive. Cobia and mackerel are in and we saw a few of them.

All in all a good weekend to be out on the water.

Pat

We did one 90 minute dive on the barge off of Figure 8 island. 30ft or so vis, 70F. One 5' sandtiger that seemed to be following us around. Saw 5 or 6 legal, but not big enough to bother with, flounder, some big sheepshead, lots of spadefish, a 'school' of three porcupine fish? Some kind of puffer anyway. Also ran across a little 4-6" thing that looked like a pipe fish.
We started out for the Lib ship, but it was way too crowded. 2-3ft glassy swells.

John

Great reports! Seems like the seas have been calm lately. Is that common for this time of year? I'm sure it will pick up with hurricane season starting <knock on wood>. I don't want to jinx you all with my comment :D

Ok, it's late June - anyone going this weekend or went last weekend?

robynsleo:

It is about time for Pat and/or John to give us a trip report. where are you guys?

robynsleo:
Yes... Hatteras was warm and there were lots of sharks...

suthnbelle:
It is about time for Pat and/or John to give us a trip report. where are you guys?

We went about 30 miles offshore Saturday. Got to the ledge, looked at the wind/waves, decided we didn't want to dive, turned around and came home. Spent about 5 hours on the boat, all the gear got soaked from the spray, did zero dives, still had to clean/rinse gear. Had a fine time.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom