Did anyone dive NC this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flounderer:
Trip report:
Ledge near the Tower and the Stone Tug.
Sunday May 29

Pat

Sounds like the weather was great. I spent 4 days in Florida and missed the offshore stuff.

The stuff near the tower followed by the Stone makes for an odd combination though. Was that a user request?

John

fireflock:
I'm curious to hear what conditions (temp and viz) were like.

The marine forecast for this week is looking good.

Rich

We ran to the ledge 38 miles out on Saturday. Great dive at 115 feet. BIG lionfish, several lobster, grouper, etc.

Monday, we ran to Frying Pan Tower. Seas kicked up more than expected, glad to have the big boat. Fabulous dives. One on the Tower, one on a nice ledge about 4 miles back towards the inlet. Water temp 72 on the bottom. About 50 feet vis. Schools of amberjack jetting around under the tower, several sand tigers, schools of baitfish, abundant queen angels, coupla morays, grouper etc. That's a world-class dive. On the ledge, developed some current. Huge grouper skulking under an overhand. Several filefish, jackknife fish, cubbyu, slippery dicks, blennies, sponges, etc. Two of the biggest hogfish i've ever seen.

Love to write more, but it's late.

Safe diving.

jdh:
Sounds like the weather was great. I spent 4 days in Florida and missed the offshore stuff.

The stuff near the tower followed by the Stone makes for an odd combination though. Was that a user request?

John

The divers wanted to dive a wreck and the Stone was on the way back. We were on a tight time line this weekend running 2-3 charters a day so we couldn't go farther offshore. You missed a good weekend John but I bet the caves were just as nice.

Pat

flounderer:
You missed a good weekend John but I bet the caves were just as nice.

Well John, if you have a cave report, do share. :D I'm scheduled for cavern/intro in late July but it looks like I may have to reschedule because I'm moving to Charlotte the following week. Just don't think I can afford a combo class, and moving expenses. It sucks.

Mel

suthnbelle:
I'm scheduled for cavern/intro in late July but it looks like I may have to reschedule because I'm moving to Charlotte the following week. Just don't think I can afford a combo class, and moving expenses.
Mel, hon', you're losing focus. You make the classes, and reschedule the move. :)

Gotta keep those priorities straight.... :D

Doc Intrepid:
Mel, hon', you're losing focus. You make the classes, and reschedule the move. :)

Gotta keep those priorities straight.... :D

I know, I know! Got any ideas for some quick cash? Hmm.....shouldn't ask that question on this board. :D If I reschedule I'll just push it to September.

suthnbelle:
Well John, if you have a cave report, do share. :D I'm scheduled for cavern/intro in late July but it looks like I may have to reschedule because I'm moving to Charlotte the following week. Just don't think I can afford a combo class, and moving expenses. It sucks.

Mel

A great trip as always. We did a few days at Ginnie with 5,000 of our closest drunken redneck friends. Very few people in the caves while we were there. Getting in while the crowds are still hungover and sleeping is good. Spent a lot of time up by the bats, behind the bats, skid row, double lines, etc.

Also did the 'Grand Traverse' at Peacock. Flow was way up, vis was down. Lots of stupid looking concrete things for lines scattered throughout the system.

Had a great time, lots of nice, long, relaxed diving.

Enjoy the class, who are you doing it with? Cavern class will do more for your diving than any other single class, except for DIR-F maybe :)

John

jdh:
A great trip as always. We did a few days at Ginnie with 5,000 of our closest drunken redneck friends. Very few people in the caves while we were there. Getting in while the crowds are still hungover and sleeping is good. Spent a lot of time up by the bats, behind the bats, skid row, double lines, etc.

Also did the 'Grand Traverse' at Peacock. Flow was way up, vis was down. Lots of stupid looking concrete things for lines scattered throughout the system.

Had a great time, lots of nice, long, relaxed diving.

Enjoy the class, who are you doing it with? Cavern class will do more for your diving than any other single class, except for DIR-F maybe :)

John

Yea, I can only imagine what that place was like Memorial Day weekend.

I'm taking the class with Mike O'Leary at the Dive Outpost. I'm excited about it and really hope I don't have to reschedule, but we'll see. I've thought about the DIR-F class, but didn't think I'd need it if I do cavern. Don't you pretty much learn the same techniques, for example bouyancy while task loading and different kicks? Unless I hit the lottery sometime soon, I'll have to space my classes/adventures out when I can afford them.

Mel

suthnbelle:
I've thought about the DIR-F class, but didn't think I'd need it if I do cavern. Don't you pretty much learn the same techniques, for example bouyancy while task loading and different kicks? Unless I hit the lottery sometime soon, I'll have to space my classes/adventures out when I can afford them.

Mel

There is some overlap, but it is not the same thing. There is supposed to be a DIR-F somewhere around RTP at the end of the month. Down Under was hosting it. They did the in-water stuff at Rawlings last time.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom