Diaphragm 1st stage regs you like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the Micra, I've never rebuilt one... however I've DIY'd some parts for them for other people. Most common deal killer I've heard for keeping them in the water is the purge cover. I've 3d printed a few of those.
I found that Micras are one of the worst second stages I have worked on. The adjustment knob held in place with a roll pin that likes to bend when you drive it out? Seriously! (Pro tip: you can drive the roll pin with a Conshelf first stage pin - just the right size).

The second stage cover retaining ring requires a very specific tool (you can bodge it but it's not easy).

The lever/poppet assembly is a complete PITA nightmare.

On top of that the second stage diaphragm is so small and the lever so sensitive that adjustment is very finicky and it goes from no flow to freeflow with very little leeway.

I was not sorry to see those disappear, though some customers seem to love them.

What's wrong with purchasing parts directly from the manufacturer? Unless an ebay seller is a reputable distributor, I wouldn't trust it. I'm personally not interested in some copies made in China that may or may not fail at inopportune times for myself, my loved ones and friends, or my students.
I have never seen faked Scubapro service kits on Ebay...

They come from the factory here in Italy and we can buy in any shop in Europe.
I was suggesting Ebay because it makes simple and safe purchasing from US.
Example of a seller where I did already purchase, from Austria: Spare Parts Kit for Respirator Service to Scubapro G260 Save Parts | eBay

yeah, I figure even the cheapest no name things out there will work fine for recreational applications. Just might be a trade off with how long parts area available, finding shops that know it, design flaws that result in premature regulator death from corrosion, etc....

that's is interesting about Deep 6 and parts for life. THAT is exactly the kind of thing that I did not know but was hoping to learn by posting this thread!!!

....and there's the rub. Still, I'm not opposed to taking another class if it's reasonably priced, almost always can learn at least something!

mostly I was just fishing for al this great info of things I didn't know that I didn't know. Many of these brands did not exist when I was active...and if I see them in a store I might think they are some cheap knock-off garbage

If I can get parts (or if my local shop can get parts) for my US Divers regs, then I will continue to use them. But if parts are sketchy I might end up replacing it....AND if any of my family take to this diving idea then I will certainly be looking to gear them up...so this is info gathering mostly....

I like simple
I like the idea of environment seal but then really don't need it for any diving I foresee doing now
rotating turret...seems like a failure point to me
light and small seem great but not worth the likely price for me
I used to self service my regulators...well at the end of my active diving when I was getting into the tec stuff anyway. Now days I can see going either way..... I like being able to do it myself even if I might end up more often just sending it in......and that's a red x mark for scubapro in my book
and thanks to this thread it's a big green check mark for HOG and Deep 6.

Can't go wrong either way, but Deep 6 includes the rebuild kit in the package and they also include the 1st rebuild (have to send it back with the parts they sent you and you pay shipping).

Good deal... double the diving. Might get 6 or more years before you have to pay for a rebuild or parts.

I found that Micras are one of the worst second stages I have worked on. The adjustment knob held in place with a roll pin that likes to bend when you drive it out? Seriously! (Pro tip: you can drive the roll pin with a Conshelf first stage pin - just the right size).

The second stage cover retaining ring requires a very specific tool (you can bodge it but it's not easy).

The lever/poppet assembly is a complete PITA nightmare.

On top of that the second stage diaphragm is so small and the lever so sensitive that adjustment is very finicky and it goes from no flow to freeflow with very little leeway.

I was not sorry to see those disappear, though some customers seem to love them.

Interesting. no adjustment knob on mine. I think that came with later models. That's one thing I liked about mine. Adjust it right and there's nothing to putz with. It's been so long since I serviced I don't recall anything about the retaining ring or any of it being a real PITA.,,but again, that was a long time ago... + I don't have a lot to compare it against. My instructor was all scubapro if i recall correctly so I was exposed to those...

Interesting. no adjustment knob on mine. I think that came with later models. That's one thing I liked about mine. Adjust it right and there's nothing to putz with. It's been so long since I serviced I don't recall anything about the retaining ring or any of it being a real PITA.,,but again, that was a long time ago... + I don't have a lot to compare it against. My instructor was all scubapro if i recall correctly so I was exposed to those...

Adjustment knob is great. 2nd stages tend to set and might bubble a little after a few months. Having the screw can save a dive.. just detune it a little and away you go. Then mess with it later.

@BoltSnap is correct. The dealer price in a list I was able to see for 2021 is exactly the same as the dealer price for 2022. It is about 70% higher than on a 2006 list. I cannot explain why my source would have said that parts costs are going up 50%, but it is nonetheless true that his list price for a Jet Seat is now $15+. By way of comparison, the equivalent seat for ScubaPro is less than half that.
Don't bash @BoltSnap . I suspect the difference lies in US markup practice vs other parts of the world. And what he said about recent wholesale price stability also is correct.
My position stands: Atomic parts costs are, in some cases, absurd.

`DRY` DIAPHRAGM 1ST: AQUALUNG LEGEND
`WET` DIAPHRAGM 1ST: MARES MR12 - CONSHELFS
In all my tests in the last 15 years on the Flow Bench the Legend was slightly better than any other diaphragm 1st models I tested concerning IP stability between full and near empty tank and dynamic IP drop under flow.
Similar thing with the Mares MR12 for the `wet` diaphragm 1sts.
I don`t think I will ever dive a Legend, but technically I find it remarkable that in so long time I never could find a 1st with a beter performance concerning the key values.
I haven`t tested yet the MK3 from Poseidon, no Tecline Reg, no HOGs, no Zeagles and no Deep6, so I couldn`t speak for them.

I was under the impression that most of the kits sold were aftermarket versions; though I did see a few manufacturer‘s kits on the German eBay site . . .
Better always ask the seller before ordering, for being sure.
All the kits I bought on Ebay here in Europe were always original in their sealed package.
Instead I found not-original parts from US sellers, such as VintageDoubleHose.
You can order original SP kits slso from some reliable members of Scubaboard.

Adjustment knob is great. 2nd stages tend to set and might bubble a little after a few months. Having the screw can save a dive.. just detune it a little and away you go. Then mess with it later.
I get the point.... and I can certainly see the advantage. Having an octo free flow when jumping in or when flipped over drives me nuts. I used to always adjust my 2nds to have just a smidge higher cracking pressure than what most folks consider "nice". Was never able to quantity the setting but used to just ask the shops to set it just a smidge harder to breathe...or would just tweak it myself later once I learned how to work on regulators.

On another note, that reg brand mentioned earlier that offered open training for service.... deep 6 I think it was...and maybe HOG too. I poked around on their sites just a little, and found no mention of the class, cost, how it works/where to go for it, etc.... Not looking to do it right now, just curious.

Back
Top Bottom