Diaphragm 1st stage regs you like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to touch back on the original point that OP was after (durability and long term service support, preferably diaphragm), the SEA 1st stage you have uses the same critical components as the venerable Conshelf (outside of an O-ring or 2, sourced anywhere). That same first stage internals started in the Royal Aquamaster in 1966 are parts interchangeable with the entire Conshelf series, your SEA/Mikron, and up to the 2008 Titan. The Conshelf 14 is still available new for commercial and military use. I would keep diving the SEA first stage, pair it with a 1085 (chrome Conshelf) second stage, and be content that they will remain servicable roughly for eternity. If you don't want to source Aqualung kits, Trident sells the HP seat and the HP diaphragm, the rest is just common o-rings and such. The second stage rebuild only requires a 014 O-ring and a puck style seat available anywhere (or easily punched from sheet EPDM or Silicone), and occasionally a new nylock nut.

Just my take, for what it's worth.

Respectfully,

James
It is a very nice reg and if ever you need to take out zombies it heavy enough to disable with nothing more than a glancing blow.

where he was quite specific in the amount going up. Burhan even responded in post #3. For hopefully the last time that I will state this, let the matter of the price increase be resolved in a thread specifically about price increases.
And based in total on anecdote.

Just to touch back on the original point that OP was after (durability and long term service support, preferably diaphragm), the SEA 1st stage you have uses the same critical components as the venerable Conshelf (outside of an O-ring or 2, sourced anywhere). That same first stage internals started in the Royal Aquamaster in 1966 are parts interchangeable with the entire Conshelf series, your SEA/Mikron, and up to the 2008 Titan. The Conshelf 14 is still available new for commercial and military use. I would keep diving the SEA first stage, pair it with a 1085 (chrome Conshelf) second stage, and be content that they will remain servicable roughly for eternity. If you don't want to source Aqualung kits, Trident sells the HP seat and the HP diaphragm, the rest is just common o-rings and such.
The seat and HP diaphragm of the Mares 22 (and variants) are also parts interchangeable with the Conshelf et al. The 22 has the additional advantage of a replaceable volcano orifice (what Mares calls a "seat" and Aqualung calls a "crown") that the Conshelf lacks. I do not know if the Mares seat is interchangeable with the Titan/Mikron crown although they look very similar.

Which also means that purchasing single parts or complete service kits had never been a problem here.
I really do not know the problem that people have in US for purchasing SP parts. They are available everywhere, including on Ebay.
I have seen how these regs are designed and built... And I was introduced to the tricks for fine tuning.
I will never use anything else.
As far as I can recall, most companies in the US were tighter than a frog's ass about their service kits and spare parts falling into the hands of the public -- ScubaPro, chief among them, tied as they once were, to some Byzantine "lifetime warranty" agreement, that few living now seem to understand.

Poseidon came in a close second, with a host of idiotic US distributors -- yes, Parkway, I'm thinking of you. Dealers couldn't even get service kits for a period of time (some shortage of teflon and rubber bands?); and we were flipping diaphragms, reusing sintered filters and HP seats, and scavenging o-rings for our own gear.

The wider DIY element is fairly new to the US, even though Harlow's grassroots repair manual was around as early as 1999 -- and he even covered those difficulties in obtaining OEM parts at the time. I was only able to obtain kits, from a shop where I had once worked -- and even then, passing the kits along was treated almost as illicitly as a drug deal, a small brown bag slid across a counter along with a cash exchange.

Now, there's a retail market for a number of manufacturers -- a real positive change that ScubaPro could eventually embrace, should they ever decide to leave the trees . . .

It is a very nice reg and if ever you need to take out zombies it heavy enough to disable with nothing more than a glancing blow.
True, but some swear by the hose routing. I personally will stick with my 70s Conshelf set (all chrome) or even older DH regs.

My 26 yrs old Apeks is still going strong so must be pretty good and reliable.

And not one of them will really make a lick of difference, lol. Pick one and go diving. All will fit your post. Way too much thinking when into the above... time better spent under water!!

If you take Deep 6 class and buy their reg it's free parts for life (every 2 years for each reg you buy). If you're not interested in that then probably Hog would be the next least expensive (that will still breath just fine).

Good luck!
yeah, I figure even the cheapest no name things out there will work fine for recreational applications. Just might be a trade off with how long parts area available, finding shops that know it, design flaws that result in premature regulator death from corrosion, etc....

that's is interesting about Deep 6 and parts for life. THAT is exactly the kind of thing that I did not know but was hoping to learn by posting this thread!!!
Cost of the class will buy parts for 20+ years.
....and there's the rub. Still, I'm not opposed to taking another class if it's reasonably priced, almost always can learn at least something!
Now, what features/form factor/etc. do you want ...

Environmental seal - yes/no/DC?
Turret - yes/no/DC?
Prefer smallest and lightest for travel?
Self service your plan or shop/mail?

If you want an explicitly self-serviced compact reg with no turret ... HOG D2 or Deep6 Scribble/Excursion

Shop service or don't mind grey-marketing parts Scuba Pro Mk11 or Aqualung Mikron for no environmental seal. Mk17 or Legends if Env seal.

Etc.

More info needed ...

mostly I was just fishing for al this great info of things I didn't know that I didn't know. Many of these brands did not exist when I was active...and if I see them in a store I might think they are some cheap knock-off garbage

If I can get parts (or if my local shop can get parts) for my US Divers regs, then I will continue to use them. But if parts are sketchy I might end up replacing it....AND if any of my family take to this diving idea then I will certainly be looking to gear them up...so this is info gathering mostly....

I like simple
I like the idea of environment seal but then really don't need it for any diving I foresee doing now
rotating turret...seems like a failure point to me
light and small seem great but not worth the likely price for me
I used to self service my regulators...well at the end of my active diving when I was getting into the tec stuff anyway. Now days I can see going either way..... I like being able to do it myself even if I might end up more often just sending it in......and that's a red x mark for scubapro in my book
and thanks to this thread it's a big green check mark for HOG and Deep 6.

Just to touch back on the original point that OP was after (durability and long term service support, preferably diaphragm), the SEA 1st stage you have uses the same critical components as the venerable Conshelf (outside of an O-ring or 2, sourced anywhere). That same first stage internals started in the Royal Aquamaster in 1966 are parts interchangeable with the entire Conshelf series, your SEA/Mikron, and up to the 2008 Titan. The Conshelf 14 is still available new for commercial and military use. I would keep diving the SEA first stage, pair it with a 1085 (chrome Conshelf) second stage, and be content that they will remain servicable roughly for eternity. If you don't want to source Aqualung kits, Trident sells the HP seat and the HP diaphragm, the rest is just common o-rings and such. The second stage rebuild only requires a 014 O-ring and a puck style seat available anywhere (or easily punched from sheet EPDM or Silicone), and occasionally a new nylock nut.

Just my take, for what it's worth.

Respectfully,

James
Thank you!
those are the kinds of things I did not know. I do recall that the parts were pretty simple mostly.... except for diaphragms and some of the metal parts....
good to know that about cross with conhelf!
Sounds like then that the Micra 2nd stages might be the only orphans in my rig.... too bad, they have served me well for sure!...small, lightweight, simple.

are those 1085 2nds still sold?

Thank you!
those are the kinds of things I did not know. I do recall that the parts were pretty simple mostly.... except for diaphragms and some of the metal parts....
good to know that about cross with conhelf!
Sounds like then that the Micra 2nd stages might be the only orphans in my rig.... too bad, they have served me well for sure!...small, lightweight, simple.

are those 1085 2nds still sold?
I know Amron sells the Conshelf 14 1st/2nd stage sets to the commercial crowd... but they are very spendy. I go the cheap route and pick them up off Ebay whenever I see one cheap... for example: AquaLung Conshelf XIV Regulator 2nd second Stage 14 dive ready | eBay
That one isn't a bad price at all for having been gone through already. The clamp ring has a lot of scratching/chrome loss, but good post dive rinse habits cover that.

Regarding the Micra, I've never rebuilt one... however I've DIY'd some parts for them for other people. Most common deal killer I've heard for keeping them in the water is the purge cover. I've 3d printed a few of those.

I know Amron sells the Conshelf 14 1st/2nd stage sets to the commercial crowd... but they are very spendy. I go the cheap route and pick them up off Ebay whenever I see one cheap... for example: AquaLung Conshelf XIV Regulator 2nd second Stage 14 dive ready | eBay
I know that many on SB have just done a bang-up job on eBay when it comes to buying used gear; but it will have to be completely serviced before use: and who knows how it was even or ever maintained (beschißsen gear is often just as shiny) and what manner of lowland gorilla, after a single seminar at a Marriott and a thumb-sized spliff, did the servicing?

I have a few dedicated paperweights, that were once great regulators, provided by friends and clients who had found "just the greatest deals," which even the serial use of Micromesh® failed to resurrect . . .

Back
Top Bottom