Diaper Lessons Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, many posts so far, but none seem to hit the mark completely.

I am still relatively new to a dry suit, and on my first pleasure dive in a dry suit I had to thumb the dive early to answer natures call. It was at this point that I decided I needed to do somthing.

I looked at pee valves, and may eventually end up with one, but not for now. Huggies #4 came highly recommended, choose the most outlandish art work possible. I decided on male incontinence pads, they are simple and not very expensive. They have an adhesive strip so you just stick it to the inside of your underwear in the right place. I usually put it on at home when I am getting dressed in the morning. If you don't use it one will last all day. I throw a few into the dry suit bag for spares.

As far as testing it goes, put it on and wearing only your undershorts, stand in the shower and do your thing. Look for leakage and learn how to best positon the pad to prevent leakage. Your urine gets into the pad and turns to a "gel" so there is no liquid to possibly run down your leg, the layer of fabric next to your skin remains dry so there is no "wet" feeling. At worst it feels a little clammy. For your underwear choice I would think, briefs will be better than boxer briefs, and boxer briefs would be better than boxers. Keep the pad close and in the right place.

When you go you will need to change the pad when you are back on the surface. I would recommend only ONE use per pad, if you get my meaning. The incontinence pads I use come in a white plastic wrapper, I place one pad in a sandwich size zip lock bag, when I need to replace a used pad I put the used pad in this zip lock bag and into the trash and put the fresh pad where it is needed.

When you are deciding on the best placement of the pad, remember, when you are diving you will most likely be laying face down not standing up, so put all of the "parts" in place with this in mind.

All solutions to this problem can fail, diapes or pads can leak, condom cathaters can become blocked and "blow" off. I think the incontinence pad is a cost effective and low bother solution. It allows you to fully hydrate with few worries, just "go" dive.

Mark Vlahos

The diapers thing is good practice for when you get old and have problems in that area, I suppose. I've never dived a dry suit, but I have a practice of taking that last leak before suiting up so I've never had a problem. Never peed IN a suit, either.

OTOH, I just peed myself because you guys were talking about it so much, like being near a waterfall. Thanks, folks! :11:

ozymandias_kok:
I've never dived a dry suit, but I have a practice of taking that last leak before suiting up so I've never had a problem. Never peed IN a suit, either...
LOL... Both of these points suggest you have never been diving in 39F water either. This alone adds a whole new dimension to diving! Add a heavier weight belt, (required by the dry suit and sits on your bladder,) and 40 minutes of deco, and then you'll appreciate this problem!

Sometimes my TEETH HURT because I have to pee so badly when I get out! (Can somepne explain the physiology of this please?) Then of course, you get your smart-*** buddy/tender who thinks it's funny to watch you dancing around the deck PLEADING for help.... :mooner:

Typical scubaboard. You ask about diapers and get a lecture on P valves.

That said, I dive with a diaper diver, and I don't see his diaper is less hassle than my P valve, since I use the quick disconnect. I can put the cath on in about 15 seconds, leave it on all day, click it into, or our of my drysuit in a flash (ok, without a flash :D ), and forget it's there. No one knows whether I have my P valve on or not, and there is no bulk to it.

I have been diving drysuits for 20 years and never once have I had to take a leak really badly. Dives with open circuit divers are an hour or less, and I can always comfortably wait that long, even if I don't take a leak before suiting up. If I had a concern, I would go just before gearing up.

The idea of wearing diapers and taking a leak into them while wearing them under a drysuit undergarment is just highly unappealing.

I know how to get my freak on mutually with women, but diapers aren't my cup of tea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom