Diaper Lessons Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read on other threads that adults like me who've never had children need to "practice" using a diaper in a bathtub to learn how best not to leak. I'm game to try this, I guess...but can anyone enlighten us as to what this practice actually entails before climbing into the tub and possibly just observing what becomes obvious?

Wearing backwards for more absorbency?
Taping in some special secret way?
Using pads instead of diapers-better? Worse?
Folding a #4 Huggies into a pad rather than wearing it as a diaper?
Removing from under drysuit underwear without spillage?
Plastic pants/shorts over the diaper add more protection for your drysuit or some kind of hassle?
Specific brand recommendations?

So far I've been able to dive without going, but the day is coming...
I'd like to try diapers or pads before going with a Pee Valve.
Until I know having to go underwater is going to be a common event.

Thanks. Please don't hesitate to be as graphic as necessary:wink:

And yet another reason why I'm glad a wetsuit works just fine for me!

:)

My guess is that if you have the appropriate anatomy for a p-valve, that would be the way to go. I actually had to call a dive because I had to pee so bad. After that I went with the diaper, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't have any other option.

Rachel

What I've mainly been wondering is whether or not you really feel completely dry using diapers or pads? That seems like a fantasty?

Bisquit7,Check out the questions in my original post...any hints?
I don't want to go to a P valve until not being able to hold on is no longer the option the majority of the time.

This is the stuff they never teach you in your open water class.:11:

I'm a girl... the anatomy is sufficiently different that I couldn't really advise you on precisely how a diaper would work for you. My only advice is "go slow".

R

Thats the great thing about a p-valve. You dont have to hold it until you cant hold it anymore. Just let go. Pee as much as you want. Hydrate as much as you want before a dive (with the appropriate beverages). Most people who use a drysuit and dont have a p-valve restrict their intake of fluids before a dive. We all should know that this is a bad thing when diving. My take on diapers is I wont use one now that I am potty trained. :wink: If you can stand the feel of a diaper on while you are diving, peeing in a diaper slowly so that it soaks up the fluid, and then dealing with the occasional leakage, then go for it. If you want to skip all that, just go with a p-valve right away. IMNSHO, you will probably end up with a p-valve anyway, so why wait?

As far as answering your questions in your original post, just forget all that and just go with a standard adult diaper (extra absorbency would be good). And then remember, pee slowly...

jim T.:
What I've mainly been wondering is whether or not you really feel completely dry using diapers or pads? That seems like a fantasty?

Bisquit7,Check out the questions in my original post...any hints?
I don't want to go to a P valve until not being able to hold on is no longer the option the majority of the time.

Get a P-valve for $65, install it and kiss the problem goodbye.

I have to agree a p valve is the best piece of dive gear invented since the regulator. I have always hyper-hydrated myself knowing full well that when immersion diuresis hits I am not the diver doing the "pee pee dance" underwater. One secret I've learned is because even this can fail with a kinked line,I will drink large quantity of fluid before rigging gear. When I've suited up I have to do a test firing before commencing the dive,and mission control gives me an "all systems are nominal",then this is the least problem I have during the dive,and my mind isn't clouded with "I got to go"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom