DGX Valve & Manifold Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The price on DGX manifolds seems almost too good to be true at $99 compared to Hog, Thermo, XS, and Dive Rite all in the $200-$275 range depending on the dealer.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for in life. So, what's the word on these guys? Seems too cheap to be any good, but I generally read really good things about DGX branded stuff.

Reactions: OTF
This is a good question and I've wondered the same. Why so much cheaper?

they import directly from the oem in asia and likely also take a smaller markup
That would certainly help, but if they are the same quality, then that's an insane markup by the popular companies.

I did find this 5 year old post claiming that the same company "ODS" makes them and the Dive Rite manifolds, which could be good news, but the same manufacturer doesn't mean the same quality/materials. I know nothing about ODS and can't find much by Googling it.

ODS makes DR and DGX manifolds.

I have two of the modular valves. No problems so far, but it's only been about 2 months. They look great, and seem well made. I use them for sidemount. I don't have the manifold.

If I get more tanks, and am willing to spare $40, I'm intending on getting these valves every time.

I had a different experience with these. A couple of years ago, I bought one of their manifold sets to try out in hopes of finding a relatively cheap way of replacing all of my remaining Blue Steel valves (which I don't care for). The DGX valves worked well, but I had an issue after trying to change the handwheels. When reinstalling the handwheel nut, the valve stems snapped at the base of the threads. This happened on both valves (I stopped before trying the isolator) and didn't appear to be related to over-tightening, as I only used a thumb and forefinger on the driver.

DGX promptly sent me replacement valve stems, enough to replace all of the valve stems plus a couple of extras if memory serves, but I had the same issue when reinstalling these, as well. I only got through two of them before relegating the whole thing to the junk pile. To be fair, DGX did try to resolve the issue, but I never followed up with them further. I wouldn't hesitate to buy DGX products (and have since this episode), but these valves weren't for me. With all of that said, my experience is definitely in the minority - there are plenty of users here who use DGX valves all the time with no issue.

Back
Top Bottom