DGX D6? Any good? Your opinion matters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@nikefreekz

I see we were mentioned here by a few others.

With regard to Deep6, we have quite a large customer group in Singapore, many of them are also certified technicians. Our Signature product line is very popular and well supported there.

Key point of note however, the reg you have listed above is not a Deep6 regulator, but one that we originally OEMed for DGX. They now sell that model directly as part of their in house brand. All support and service would run through them for that particular product.

Singapore is a member of the WTO so they will use the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. First six digits of HS codes are the same for all WTO members. 9020.00 - underwater breathing devices designed as a complete unit to be carried on the person and not requiring attendants. 9020.00 is the proper HS code. Check online with the Singapore customs service or call local customs office for duty.

(I’m a licensed customs broker in the US).
As a licensed customs broker, you also know there is a lot of wiggle room for interpretations in these codes. However, the long established HS code used for recreational SCUBA diving equipment in general is

"HS 9506.29 Water-sport Equipment, Other"

We export a couple of $M a year using the 9506.29 code, as established by a 2001 bulletin from CPB. It can sometimes be better to use other codes, for example a diving computer might also be classified as a "gauge" or a "watch" if they were being exported in bulk. But as far as the CPB was concerned upon our inquiry, for an ordinary package containing recreational SCUBA equipment the CPB tells us to use 9506.29

As a licensed customs broker, you also know there is a lot of wiggle room for interpretations in these codes. However, the long established HS code used for recreational SCUBA diving equipment in general is

"HS 9506.29 Water-sport Equipment, Other"

We export a couple of $M a year using the 9506.29 code, as established by a 2001 bulletin from CPB. It can sometimes be better to use other codes, for example a diving computer might also be classified as a "gauge" or a "watch" if they were being exported in bulk. But as far as the CPB was concerned upon our inquiry, for an ordinary package containing recreational SCUBA equipment the CPB tells us to use 9506.29

One of the general rules of interpretation that CBP uses for merchandise classification indicates that if an item is specifically mentioned in the tariff, you are to use that classification. So for regs or rebreathers, you would use the classification previously mentioned.

One of the general rules of interpretation that CBP uses for merchandise classification indicates that if an item is specifically mentioned in the tariff, you are to use that classification. So for regs or rebreathers, you would use the classification previously mentioned.
Yes, we put exactly that question to them back in the early 2000's. The issue is that other than the code 9020.00 there is no code specifically for recreational dive equipment, so it is all coded 9506.29 which is a NESOI catchall for sporting goods. The six digit 9020.00 code for rebreathers got us a visit from those people 'here to help' because they wanted to know exactly what we were doing. At the time (early 2000's) we weren't even selling rebreathers, but we were exporting (relative to everyone else) a lot of recreational scuba gear. This was shortly after 9-11 and we were told NOT to use 9020.00 because they initially thought we were shipping military equipment (9020.00 is for rebreathers and the subcode 9020.00.60 is intended for gas masks or so we were told.) Thus the finding mentioned in the CPB bulletin. As we began to buy directly from overseas suppliers, I've since observed our international suppliers also code their dive equipment products as 9506.29 even for open-circuit regulators.

@DiveGearExpress

Export is a whole other animal. That thing with the rebreathers on export - nothing I have to worry about. I’m import only.

I just need a decent level of performance, mainly for salt water diving in Asia...

if you are using one right now, what's your honest opinion of them?
No complaints about the regulator's breathing qualities, though, I'm using it for staged decompression. It does breath wet sometimes but so do many other regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom