Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The non-ditchable weight argument comes from the idea of a "balanced rig." In a perfect world, the diver would be weighted to be neutral without his/her rig on, and the rig would be weighted to be neutral with near empty tank(s). In that configuration, even if you had a total BCD failure at the start of the dive, you should be able to swim up the weight of the air in the tanks plus the negataive buoyancy from wetsuit compression. Most of those who dive without ditchable weight and can't achieve that swimmable degree of negative buoyancy at the start of the dive (big doubles, thick wetsuit compression, etc.) typically will have alternate means of buoyancy (Drysuit, double bladder wing, even a DSMB can be used as alternate buoyancy).
That being said, many divers don't dive with easily ditchable weight, and consider ditchable weight to be hazardous. The thinking here is that ditching weight at depth can cause an uncontrollable ascent, which is a very dangerous situation, especially if you are diving under a hard ceiling. And sometimes the weight will end up being ditched on accident, if the quick disconnect is not plugged in all the way, gets snagged, or something like that. In the event that you would want to intentionally ditch weight, most folks would agree that it should only be done once you reach the surface, and at the surface you could ditch your entire rig if the non-ditchable weight is a problem.
Hey thanks for these very insightful responses! Yeah I guess I feel like I'm starting over if/when I go BPW. I have my weight dialed in with a 3mm and SP Hydros pro, but now that I'm starting to drysuit dive with steel hp, and the potential of carrying a pony on some dives I have no idea where to begin. I think I'll get the SS for my cold water dry suit dives and get an aluminum in the future before I head back to the Caribbean.

Dropping weight while under water is a situation I hope to never be in. I was trained to drop weight at surface.
I have weight on upper cam bands and a Mako Speargun rubber weight belt which I love and wear with my BPW.
Some great insight shared by more experienced divers than me. 🙂

I was not aware that anyone in this thread was contemplating dropping weights at depth?

I was not aware that anyone in this thread was contemplating dropping weights at depth?
The comment earlier was about inadvertently losing your ditchable weights underwater, not purposefully releasing them.

The comment earlier was about inadvertently losing your ditchable weights underwater, not purposefully releasing them.

Thanks, I was looking for where it came up. I have seen some of the BC pockets jettison themselves :wink:. The DR pockets I use cannot reasonably jettison their lead nor come off the webbing. There is a velcro latch and a snap lock on the flap and the pockets are locked to the webbing. But, certainly, with some BC or pocket designs it could be a problem, usually minor.

Thanks, I was looking for where it came up. I have seen some of the BC pockets jettison themselves :wink:. The DR pockets I use cannot reasonably jettison their lead nor come off the webbing. There is a velcro latch and a snap lock. But, certainly, with some BC or pocket designs it could be a problem, usually minor.
I've seen a fair number of rec divers lose a weight pocket from one of the older-design (velcro only) BCDs. It usually caused no problem, because they were so over-weighted the loss of one of the pockets was easily compensated for by letting some air out. :(

Weight belt serves me well and I like to pass the belt to the crew before climbing back to the boat. Sometimes I even take off the kit(BP/W) and let the crew to do all the lifting.
When you have reached certain age, climbing back to the boat can be tricky.
I do miss those dive boats with lift!

Congrats on the new diving rigs! DGX bp/w setup has served me well the last couple of years! Great setup, no regrets.

One lessoned learned: do some good buoyancy testing and figure out how much weight you need/like and where to attach so you get your setup dialed in.

I have a couple of the trim pockets DGX sells, which gave me the option to to add a little weight as needed and try it in a few different places (cam bands, belt, etc..)

Congrats on the new diving rigs! DGX bp/w setup has served me well the last couple of years! Great setup, no regrets.

One lessoned learned: do some good buoyancy testing and figure out how much weight you need/like and where to attach so you get your setup dialed in.

I have a couple of the trim pockets DGX sells, which gave me the option to to add a little weight as needed and try it in a few different places (cam bands, belt, etc..)
Appreciate it! I had every intention of setting them up as soon as I received them but life has gotten in the way and my wife heads out for a 2 week trip in a couple of days. (regulators are still being shipped so need to wait on those before getting everything wet. We do plan to spend quite a bit of time in the pool to get things as close to dialed in knowing we will have to tweak things when we jump into saltwater.

Decided to put my rig together and am extremely pleased. Added blue aluminum sliders just to make it standout a bit more. YouTube was extremely helpful for threading the harness as well as adjusting it properly. Regulators and a few other things on Tuesday then we can set up some pool time!
Waiting for some small trim pockets so didn't attach the cam bands yet.
IMG_6566.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom