Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is funny though, most of this is about comfort and those are the things I use for comfort in a thin suit, but many people will argue (and be entirely convinced that they are right) that a basic harness is comfortable enough and no padding is beneficial (for them, me, you and the wife).
Many of us will argue that a basic harness is comfortable enough for us, and that padding is positively buoyant (so if you don't need it, getting rid of it reduces lead needed).

@Redbelly737 The key thing that I think we should all address (myself included) is that it all what is best/most comfortable/preferred by the individual diver. I use and love a basic harness with no padding on the harness or plate (even with no wetsuit). One of my boys uses a BPW with an H harness (shoulder straps attach to the waist band with T plates at the front of the hips) and a back pad. My wife hates BPW and a keep a Scubapro Classic jacket for her.
If able, borrow or rent things to try first. If on a budget, start with a basic harness and no pad... and if you want padding add it. If less budget constrained buy the pads up front and try with and without to see what you prefer, then sell the pads if you decide you don't need them. When making the decision, think about the diving you will do. Boats where you gear up and immediately hit the water, all that matters is in water comfort. Shore diving it starts to matter how it feels wearing it from wear you gear up to the entry point.
We all have our opinions (and share them!), but what really counts will be what you find you like.

Respectfully,

James

Many of us will argue that a basic harness is comfortable enough for us, and that padding is positively buoyant (so if you don't need it, getting rid of it reduces lead needed).

@Redbelly737 The key thing that I think we should all address (myself included) is that it all what is best/most comfortable/preferred by the individual diver. I use and love a basic harness with no padding on the harness or plate (even with no wetsuit). One of my boys uses a BPW with an H harness (shoulder straps attach to the waist band with T plates at the front of the hips) and a back pad. My wife hates BPW and a keep a Scubapro Classic jacket for her.
If able, borrow or rent things to try first. If on a budget, start with a basic harness and no pad... and if you want padding add it. If less budget constrained buy the pads up front and try with and without to see what you prefer, then sell the pads if you decide you don't need them. When making the decision, think about the diving you will do. Boats where you gear up and immediately hit the water, all that matters is in water comfort. Shore diving it starts to matter how it feels wearing it from wear you gear up to the entry point.
We all have our opinions (and share them!), but what really counts will be what you find you like.

Respectfully,

James
Thank you James, All very good advice. My thoughts are, with the mostly positive, comments on this forum and other reviews elsewhere, this will be a great place to start and try a number of dives with. As you say, add padding if needed or desired. If either of us find it horrendous then we can go more traditional with not too much out of pocket. Hard to find BPW to try in my limited search. Dive trip planned in September to Cozumel and with some practice dives in the LDS pool once we get all the pieces together before the trip will bring things into better focus.

Thank you James, All very good advice. My thoughts are, with the mostly positive, comments on this forum and other reviews elsewhere, this will be a great place to start and try a number of dives with. As you say, add padding if needed or desired. If either of us find it horrendous then we can go more traditional with not too much out of pocket. Hard to find BPW to try in my limited search. Dive trip planned in September to Cozumel and with some practice dives in the LDS pool once we get all the pieces together before the trip will bring things into better focus.
If you lived anywhere near me, I'd happily meet up and let you try the various rigs we have in the family. Hopefully someone in your area will be willing to do the same.
On an tangential note, one legitimate downside of the BPW minimalist approach is a lack of pockets. My wetsuit has pockets on the thighs, so I don't miss not have pockets on the BPW, and when I dive without a wetsuit I have a cheap pair of pocket shorts (I know some people even just use surplus BDU cut-offs over their wetsuit/swimsuit for the pockets). Actual dive related stuff (light, DSMB, etc.) I clip off to D-rings, but I like having the pockets to put trash found on the dive in.

Respectfully,

James

I think it depends on how much you have to carry the tank on dry land. When you're in the water everything's weightless and unless your straps are too tight the BP/W should cause no discomfort. I like the lack of clutter.
My kit consists of a barebones harness with a total of 5 D-rings, a velcro strap to secure the inflator hose, a trilobite cutter and two 5 lb weight pockets attached to the waist straps. When I'm ready to dive it takes about 10 seconds to slip into the shoulder straps and do up the belly button buckle.
I'm in the minority that I don't use a crotch strap. I've never felt the need, and I can shift the BP forward and back to adjust my trim.

My wife and I were recently certified and added the OWA and Nitrox so extremely new to diving. (9 total dives) The experience, as expected, far exceeded our expectations and has us looking to purchase our own equipment.

This will be for primarily warm water and air travel.

58/45, 185/125, excellent health, very active lifestyle.

Started to go down the BCD/ BP/W rabbit hole with a strong look at ScubaPro Hydros Pro before finding the ScubaPro Aluminum S-Tek. Then reviewed many of the BP/W companies. Like the trim/ minimalist feeling idea that the BP/W offers.

Came very close to purchasing S-Tek and find it an attractive (expensive) package but then I look at the DGX Aluminum Custom and find it extremely appealing for the no frills and price. Honestly think it would suit our needs nicely. Will likely be using with a 2/3mm shorty with concerns towards padding/ comfort.

For new divers that have never used a BP/W, but virtually positive we will enjoy it, is the DGX Custom a good course? (first post, be gentle:wink:)

Cheers!

My wife and I each own one and love it for travel/single tank diving. Easy to set up and it’s at a good price point.

I do NOT like that harness, I like a cross chest strap and other amenities, I also like a pad on the plate, I would prefer this harness, the delux one.

You will still be way cheaper than a scuba pro.

Also I would choose a rubber freedive belt over pockets on the harness, for both comfort and ability to ditch.

It is funny though, most of this is about comfort and those are the things I use for comfort in a thin suit, but many people will argue (and be entirely convinced that they are right) that a basic harness is comfortable enough and no padding is beneficial (for them, me, you and the wife).

I dived the DGX wing and harness in Belize this February in nothing but a long sleeve rash guard and swim shorts for our shallow dives…wasn’t uncomfortable at all, and you can add a chest strap pretty easily, which is what we did.

If you are doing a long walk for a shore dive then padded straps are nice. If you are rolling off a boat you won't even notice the lack of padding. I use soft seat belt type webbing for the crotch strap.

I'm in the minority that I don't use a crotch strap. I've never felt the need, and I can shift the BP forward and back to adjust my trim.
Without starting an argument, it's worth noting to the OP: Using a crotch strap allows you to run shoulder straps looser so it makes getting in and out of the rig much easier. When you put a little tension on the crotch strap, it takes up the slack. Also it stops the rig sliding into your neck if you go head-down. If you have adjustable shoulder straps and/or run the shoulder straps tight, you may not find it necessary to have a crotch strap.

I would also look at the Sub Gravity Paragon Single Tank Package. You get a choice of 3 stainless steel or 2 aluminum backplates, 4 wing lift capacities, 3 weight pocket sizes, and 2 harness styles. You can add shoulder pads & backplate trim weight pockets if you wish. You can get a short backplate in stainless steel or aluminum. They make high quality gear and have great customer service.
I have their aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness. I love the adjustable harness, it's clean & simple with no plastic parts. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

Back
Top Bottom