Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own the DGX brand BP/W setup, it was my first single tank BP/W setup. I have been extremely happy with it and I have had no issues with it. I still have it and use it occasionally to this day. It was affordable and DGX has excellent customer service. The wing is just a rebranded oxycheq wing for a fraction of the price. My wing has an oxycheq tag on it.
Are you sure that wing is a rebranded Oxycheq?
It’s quite possibly made by the same company that makes Oxycheq wings in the same room, and it might just be the same design/panel cut, but not necessarily a “rebranded Oxycheq” in the sense that it is indeed the same exact Oxycheq wing just with with a different patch sewn on. AFAIK Oxycheq doesn’t have a patent on that exact design so anybody can replicate it.
VDH also had a wing very similar and it was also made in California, quite possibly at the same place? I would like to know the place. I used to be a dealer for Oxycheq and Patrick mentioned his wings were made in California.
I’m also wondering about the materials, if they use the same thickness outer shell material and what the inner bladder thickness is and what it’s made out of. I know Oxycheq went to a urethane impregnated cloth-like material for their bladders since those are much more pinch flat resistant. I’ll bet DGX’s is the same. Oxycheq’s older outer shells were very thick and I didn’t like them that thick. They didn’t need to be that thick, so if DGX’s spec of the outer shell is thinner that is better.
Wings don’t need to be super thick, nobody needs to be that close to stuff to chafe them or puncture them. If somebody is that unaware of their surroundings and is constantly rubbing against sharp objects then they need to get the extreme wing. Oxycheq’s original clear urethane bladders, at least in their 40# Mach V, was way too big for the outer shell and it would fold up on itself leaving lumps and bumps on the outside. I think Oxycheq used a small doubles wing bladder or the old signature series bladder and stuffed it into the narrow Mach V wing shell save cost but it’s not optimal. It was also very thick and unruly.
I’m about due for a new wing after almost 20 years and I think I will get 30# DGX wing.

Are you sure that wing is a rebranded Oxycheq?
It’s quite possibly made by the same company that makes Oxycheq wings in the same room, and it might just be the same design/panel cut, but not necessarily a “rebranded Oxycheq” in the sense that it is indeed the same exact Oxycheq wing just with with a different patch sewn on. AFAIK Oxycheq doesn’t have a patent on that exact design so anybody can replicate it.
VDH also had a wing very similar and it was also made in California, quite possibly at the same place? I would like to know the place. I used to be a dealer for Oxycheq and Patrick mentioned his wings were made in California.
I’m also wondering about the materials, if they use the same thickness outer shell material and what the inner bladder thickness is and what it’s made out of. I know Oxycheq went to a urethane impregnated cloth-like material for their bladders since those are much more pinch flat resistant. I’ll bet DGX’s is the same. Oxycheq’s older outer shells were very thick and I didn’t like them that thick. They didn’t need to be that thick, so if DGX’s spec of the outer shell is thinner that is better.
Wings don’t need to be super thick, nobody needs to be that close to stuff to chafe them or puncture them. If somebody is that unaware of their surroundings and is constantly rubbing against sharp objects then they need to get the extreme wing. Oxycheq’s original clear urethane bladders, at least in their 40# Mach V, was way too big for the outer shell and it would fold up on itself leaving lumps and bumps on the outside. I think Oxycheq used a small doubles wing bladder or the old signature series bladder and stuffed it into the narrow Mach V wing shell save cost but it’s not optimal. It was also very thick and unruly.
I’m about due for a new wing after almost 20 years and I think I will get 30# DGX wing.
My DGX wing has an oxycheq tag on it so I assume it is made by oxycheq. The DGX wing is really great though I would highly recommend it. It has held up quite well for me. Definitely grab the DGX wing though if you are in need of a wing that badly, you won't be disappointed.

I don’t know if the DGX 30 is made by oxy but its a very nice wing.

My DGX wing has an oxycheq tag on it so I assume it is made by oxycheq. The DGX wing is really great though I would highly recommend it. It has held up quite well for me. Definitely grab the DGX wing though if you are in need of a wing that badly, you won't be disappointed.
If it has an Oxy tag on it then it’s gotta be Oxy.
I learn something every day.
I’m a little shocked though, Oxy’s are so expensive yet the same wing from DGX is such a great value.
How or why is Oxy selling them to DGX that cheap just for DGX to turn around and resell them with a profit even? DGX way undercuts their competition, the very people who are supplying the wings! Makes no sense.

I’m a little shocked though, Oxy’s are so expensive yet the same wing from DGX is such a great value.
How or why is Oxy selling them to DGX that cheap just for DGX to turn around and resell them with a profit even? DGX way undercuts their competition, the very people who are supplying the wings! Makes no sense.

Both mine and my wife’s have Oxy on there as well.

I was just as shocked as you as soon as I got my DGX wing and opened it up for the first time. I saw the tag and immediately went to google only to find the oxy wings were indeed far more expensive. I am not sure how DGX managed to work that deal, maybe its because they move so much volume they can sell at such a low margain? Who knows, either way after I found that out I was much more comfortabel buying DGX brand products, not just their wings though. A lot of DGX brand gear is rebranded high end gear for half or even a third of the price.

My DGX 30 doesn’t say oxy anywhere but it is labeled made in USA

It may be that the Oxycheq branded wings are of even more durable materials, more designed for wreck penetration where you are crawling through and sharp metal will be poking at your wing (and you, so better have a tough dry suit).

GIven it is from DGX, I expect it to be still quality material that will stand up to most usage.

My DGX 30 doesn’t say oxy anywhere but it is labeled made in USA
I do believe they are made in Southern California (in LA somewhere).
I have a good friend in Socal that is pretty imbedded in the dive scene including dive shop/manufacturer relations, he works at a major shop down there and has been to DEMA several times. He was telling me there is a place that has approached them/him and has offered to build/make/design any type wing/BCD etc. whatever they want. I actually got the 800 number to the place, I just haven’t taken any action on it yet. Don’t quote me but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are making Oxy, DGX, and even VDH when Bryan was alive, and who knows what else. Bryan did mention that his wings were made in Southern California. I know LA is a big place, but how many places could there be making wings that all appear suspiciously similar?
I’m still trying to piece it all together.
The wing business is a very tight lipped hush hush world and information does not flow freely.
It’s possible that DGX might not even know who is making the wing, they are just getting it through Oxycheq who has positioned themselves as a middle man? I wouldn’t be a bit surprised.

I do believe they are made in Southern California (in LA somewhere).
I have a good friend in Socal that is pretty imbedded in the dive scene including dive shop/manufacturer relations, he works at a major shop down there and has been to DEMA several times. He was telling me there is a place that has approached them/him and has offered to build/make/design any type wing/BCD etc. whatever they want. I actually got the 800 number to the place, I just haven’t taken any action on it yet. Don’t quote me but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are making Oxy, DGX, and even VDH when Bryan was alive, and who knows what else. Bryan did mention that his wings were made in Southern California. I know LA is a big place, but how many places could there be making wings that all appear suspiciously similar?
I’m still trying to piece it all together.
The wing business is a very tight lipped hush hush world and information does not flow freely.
It’s possible that DGX might not even know who is making the wing, they are just getting it through Oxycheq who has positioned themselves as a middle man? I wouldn’t be a bit surprised.
I’ve had oxy wings, if memory serves the shell Material was thick and a bit stiff, I still have the VDH35 and the DGX 30, VDH seemed to be between the two. For $199 delivered the DGX is an extreme bargain and plenty tough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom