DFB or VIPDiving for air package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I though about using 63's til I checked the specs. Buoyancy wise I woulld need to add 2+ pounds of lead and they are only a few pounds lighter than an 80. I really don't see that the trade off is worth a coupe of pounds less weight. If it was 10# I could see it. For 2# to 4# I'd rather have the air. It's not like you are walking hundreds of yards.Once submerged both tanks are the same weight - neutral.

From memory 63s are about 5lbs lighter. At least 200 dives with 63s. They don't require any more weight and their buoyancy characteristics are better than alum 80s in that you don't experience the positive buoyancy at the end. I think you have to try it to decide for yourself. 5lbs on your back up and down all day long for a week at a time will make a noticeable difference. Reading specs only gives you so much info.

We live on island and use VIP for all fills (60-80 per month) and gear, when needed. They are a first rate operation and not being part of any resort, I’ve always thought of them offering a more personalized level of service and their shop and staff more like family. They have 7x24 storage and air available onsite for their customers. Bill and Bunny
Since you live on island and do that much diving, does VIP offer any kind of "locals discount"?

Since you live on island and do that much diving, does VIP offer any kind of "locals discount"?
They do .... we can get a resident discount on some things, local price matches on others.

It’s not always about the price for us. The whole team there really make us feel like family and not just another customer. We can just stop in at any time, enjoy a coffee, chat about who’s seeing what where, and more.

They do .... we can get a resident discount on some things, local price matches on others.

It’s not always about the price for us. The whole team there really make us feel like family and not just another customer. We can just stop in at any time, enjoy a coffee, chat about who’s seeing what where, and more.
Thanks for the feedback. As I consider Bonaire as a potential retirement/semi-retirement location, I have wondered, but never taken the time to look into what to expect in terms of cost for tanks/air fills. The going market rate of $170- $200 a week x 2 people, every week, for unlimited tanks would be a bit cost prohibitive on a retirement income. Thus the question regarding any kind of price break. I had heard rumor once of Buddy Dive offering some sort of very sweet deal for residents. Other option would be to own your own tanks and compressor, if you intend to dive daily. Would be nice to not have to do that though.

Thanks for the feedback. As I consider Bonaire as a potential retirement/semi-retirement location, I have wondered, but never taken the time to look into what to expect in terms of cost for tanks/air fills. The going market rate of $170- $200 a week x 2 people, every week, for unlimited tanks would be a bit cost prohibitive on a retirement income. Thus the question regarding any kind of price break. I had heard rumor once of Buddy Dive offering some sort of very sweet deal for residents. Other option would be to own your own tanks and compressor, if you intend to dive daily. Would be nice to not have to do that though.

DFB have prepaid cards good for a year. $200 gets you 15 Nitrox and $180 gets you 15 tanks of air.

Retirement diving is a tank here and there vs vacation of 3 or 4 tanks a day.

They also have a la cart cards. $38 for 2 or more (unlimited per day) tanks per day (Nitrox) or $20 for 1 tank.

A combination of those cards will satisfy your needs.

Fill your own is cheeper (in the very looong run), but you need like 3 tanks a person (fill time sloooow). Your own compressor? hmmm, elecricity is $0 .39 per KWH, plus compressor, half dozen tanks, maintenance, CO testing.... Sounds like a lot of cost, work and time.

Have them filln For 2 people of you would need 4 tanks (2 each). That will cost about a $600. Refills would be around (some should have this info) about $4 a fill. You can get away with 4 (2 each) since refill does not take that long.

I spend over $100 a day diving Cozumel for 2 tanks.

From memory 63s are about 5lbs lighter. At least 200 dives with 63s. They don't require any more weight and their buoyancy characteristics are better than alum 80s in that you don't experience the positive buoyancy at the end. I think you have to try it to decide for yourself. 5lbs on your back up and down all day long for a week at a time will make a noticeable difference. Reading specs only gives you so much info.

" Weight Full Empty
Catalina S63 27.2 2 -2.6
Luxfer 63 26.6 2.6 -2.1

Luxfer 80 31.38 4.4 -1.4
Catalina S80 31.6 4 -1.8
"
Looks like the 63's are about 4# lighter but also 2# more positive so need 2# more weight to get down if weighted exacly perfect. Negative buoyancy is 0.5# more negative empty so only a half pound gain. 4# minus 2# plus 0.5# is 2.5# net less weight. What am I missing?

Yes, well, I did under estimate our monthly retirement “air fill” budget, but it all balances out in the end. As residents, we pay $120 for 22 fill air-cards. While there may be a few slightly less expensive options, the location and friendliness of the VIP staff is worth it. We use anywhere from 2-4 cards per month, so 44-88 fills, - we own 4 Nitrox bottles and 2 air bottles.

Yes, well, I did under estimate our monthly retirement “air fill” budget, but it all balances out in the end. As residents, we pay $120 for 22 fill air-cards. While there may be a few slightly less expensive options, the location and friendliness of the VIP staff is worth it. We use anywhere from 2-4 cards per month, so 44-88 fills, - we own 4 Nitrox bottles and 2 air bottles.
That is very reasonable and thanks for the insight. If I were living on island, I would not feel the need to get in 4-5 dives a day like I do on vacation. 1-2 dives a day 6 days a week with a day off would be plenty. An air card system like you outline would work excellently with the purchase of my own tanks-- This is how I do it currently here at home. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom