DFB or VIPDiving for air package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyro_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading to Bonaire for the first time at the end of this month and trying to get everything figured out. Am currently looking at either Dive Friends or VIP Diving for an air package. Like the fact that DFB has multiple locations to get tanks from, however being an air hog the fact that VIP Diving says that they have 100 cu ft tanks available is tempting. Any thoughts on either of these?

From what I have read on SB I think you will be happy with either. An observation: I find with shore diving which is free, unlimited and at your own schedule and with unlimited air I would rather dive with smaller tanks even if it means a shorter dive time, say 45-55 vs 65-70. Most of your dive time will be 60' or less. Why carry the extra weight of a 100 especially over shore entries, some of which can be tricky. If you can dive as many times a days as you like I see no reason to lug a 100 around just to be able to make each dive a certain time. Just my two cents.

I can't say anything about VIP Diving, but I did use Dive Friends on our trip last month. The multiple locations of Dive Friends was super convenient. Diving the southern sites, get tanks at Port Bonaire. Diving the northern sites, get tanks at Hamlet Oasis. You can also get a quick dive in at one of the house reefs at any of the Dive Friends locations while picking up tanks. We did this a few times as a "warm up" dive in the morning before heading out to the out of town sites. A couple of other things to mention if you go with Dive Friends; The Yellow Sub location as limited parking, unless you want to dive this house reef I would not pick up tanks here, plus the tanks at Yellow Sub seemed to be short filled as a rule (2800 psi). The Port Bonaire location had the fullest tanks while we where there, 3400-3500 psi, all of the other locations averaged right around 3000-3200 psi.

1 tank exchange location vs. 4(5?) - you do the math...

Realistically if you load up 6 in the truck, by the time you're gone through them you're probably ready for a little break. And it's not like it's LA highways rush hour here...

I used VIP last year. I stayed north of the shop, but found myself driving south of the shop to hit various sites everyday, without inconvenience. I really liked VIP, their staff, and their system. I'd use them without issue in the future.

Heading to Bonaire for the first time at the end of this month and trying to get everything figured out. Am currently looking at either Dive Friends or VIP Diving for an air package. Like the fact that DFB has multiple locations to get tanks from, however being an air hog the fact that VIP Diving says that they have 100 cu ft tanks available is tempting. Any thoughts on either of these?
We live on island and use VIP for all fills (60-80 per month) and gear, when needed. They are a first rate operation and not being part of any resort, I’ve always thought of them offering a more personalized level of service and their shop and staff more like family. They have 7x24 storage and air available onsite for their customers. Bill and Bunny

+1 for @tkaelin advise for the smaller tanks. We did our first Bonaire trip last year. First dive I used the larger tank. I'm short. I had a really difficult time maneuvering in and out of the water. For me, the smaller tanks were perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom