Devil's Throat - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, should the minimum dive count trump the check-out dive?

Agreed. Absolute minimum is 50, better yet 100+. Does any dive op in Coz have a policy limiting divers to DT?
I don't know if it is a resort policy but for years we have dived with Geiser at Scuba Club Cozumel and he has limits and pre-requisites on divers he'll take through DT.
For our groups it has always been six plus myself and wife if she goes. I don't recall ever having an Open Water diver that we would consider letting go through. Mostly it's been Rescue and above.

When I was on the island a couple of years ago a father, who told me he had 45 total dives, took his 17-year old son to DT. The boy had been OW certified just that week and had 4 post-cert dives. I tactfully tried to discourage it, but the father said he wanted his son to "experience it all." Happily, they came back unscathed. At least that time...

Done in the conventional way, there are two exits to the Devil's Throat—118 ft and 130 ft. Though completely dark for the first 10 feet down; don't worry as the walls are finely polished by the impact of thousands of scuba tanks. In addition, it is not vertical, at most a 45 degree angle, but coming out to the incredible blue vista while narc'd makes it interesting for many.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

www.aldora.com
So apparently we did the 118' exit - what's the difference? Same entrance, and different exit? Is there a fork in the tunnel? I didn't see it in the videos I've watched.

I am not aware of Dive OPS having minimum requirements before taking a boat to DT, although they should. I am sure they check out the divers before they visit the site. I would not base it totally on training, I would like to see 20+ dives over 100 ft. This is a cavern dive, bring a light. I did DT a year after Wilma, so 2006? Dark, but when I came out, the view was absolutely breath taking. It was a bit tight in 2006, no turning around, I had no thoughts of reversing my swim.

There have been a few fatalities at DT over the year, no Dive OP likes that notarality, so the Dive OP might not be so fast to book a trip to DT. If you get the chance to dive DT, enjoy.

First time, dive 54, AOW. According to my log, I was nervous about it but had a good dive, out at 129' and was excited to have done it. Second time, dive 150, according to my log, out at 119', meh. It's kind of a one and done for me. I much prefer a day of Palancar Horseshoe and Columbia Shallow :)

There have been a few fatalities at DT over the year, no Dive OP likes that notarality, so the Dive OP might not be so fast to book a trip to DT. If you get the chance to dive DT, enjoy.

I hadn't heard about those fatalities. What year did they happen? Did they involve older divers having heart attacks?

[QUOTE I much prefer a day of Palancar Horseshoe and Columbia Shallow :)[/QUOTE]
That's how I feel about DT. It's just not for me. If others want to dive it fine, but at least let me know before the boat leaves the dock.

Never done DT either and we have no interest. Give me Punta Sur Sur for the deep dive, speeking of deep, wasn't impressed by Maraciabo. Wasn't much to see and the extra ride and rolling waves left me seasick. Thankfully the rest of our 8 dive days our boat mates or the DM's never suggested it again. :)

Back
Top Bottom