Devil's Throat - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my humble opinion, Devil's Throat is over rated. There are many more dives that you can go deep on (any wall) and see a lot more sea life, both flora and fauna.

It's more of a bragging rights dive, last time I shot the "The Throat", I ended up at 130'+ after the exit and really didn't see much more than several schools of Midnight Parrotfish.

Sure, this is one of the dives where black tips are occationally seen, but Columbia Deep or Cathedrals are just around the corner, much prettier dives and just as much chance of seeing a "real shark" and more sealife in general, and you can go as deep as you wish on both dives if you're trying to set a personal depth record or something.

What I used to like about Maracaibo was doing a second dive on Columbia Shallows, where you can't go deeper than 25' without a shovel. Makes for a nice, long safety stop once you've gone deep earlier. Thing I hate about this dive now is that last time we did it, there was clear evidence of pollution from the southern hotels, and a lot of algae growth on the northern end of the dive.

We have so many great memories of Maracaibo, diving with Sandro (formerly with Deep Blue), that it is our happy place, and we go back there many times in our dreams.

My last dive at Maracaibo was with Sandro, whom we followed to Blue Magic. It turns out we love Blue Magic, but frankly if he were to move to another op we'd probably follow him there.

"oh no I'm decending too fast"

As long as I don't blow an eardrum or crash into something, I've never worried about descending too fast. In some places (of which Punta Sur and Maracaibo would be good examples) it can be quite important to get to depth ASAP.

My last dive at Maracaibo was with Sandro, whom we followed to Blue Magic. It turns out we love Blue Magic, but frankly if he were to move to another op we'd probably follow him there.

If we ever go back, we'll dive with Blue Magic for the same reason.

:wink:

Thanks everyone. I have decided to forgo this dive until I have more experience. I want to focus on developing my skills and I don't want to rush things. I don't want to be that guy. But, if you know of any dives that you think a diver with 9 dives would benefit/learn from please post them. And again, thanks for your comments.

A Twilight dive off paradise reef is nice... see if the dive outfit offers a "low viz/night course"

Thanks everyone. I have decided to forgo this dive until I have more experience. I want to focus on developing my skills and I don't want to rush things. I don't want to be that guy. But, if you know of any dives that you think a diver with 9 dives would benefit/learn from please post them. And again, thanks for your comments.
My suggestions:
Paradise
Tormentos
Dalila
La Francesa
Chankanaab
Chankanaab Balones
Colombia Shallows
Yucab
top of Palancar

My son and I did Devil's Throat in 2006 as PADI MSDs with about 175 dives. The dive was not particularly challenging but is sure was beautiful. The dive was on air due to the maximum depth of 127 ft. Entering out of the tunnel into the deep blue of the wall was fantastic. We dived with Aldora Divers with 2 other adept divers and a great DM. Silting was not a problem. We dived 120 cu ft steel tanks and ended up with a great 65 minute dive with an average depth of 58 ft.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
I did Devil's Throat Jan 2007. Basically, it is a dark narrow swim thru, starting around 70 feet deep, ending around 125-130. It was dark and narrow then, I suspect it has not changed much since. Some might consider it like a cave dive. The view is breath taking when you exit. I recommend a light. Since we decided to dive this site on the boat ride, we dove it with 80's. I would recommend at least a 100.

There have been fatalities at this site. This time last year, a Japanese diver disappeared on the ascent. I think she was an Asst Instructor. You can search SB for the details. You can find video's on the internet of dives at Devil's Throat. The video's I found were before Wilma, when the opening was bigger. Should give you an idea of what the site is about.

Hope you have a great time - Tom
As other's have said, there are many prettier sites to dive, without the challenges.

.....I've done DT and it's more of a 'been there got the T-shirt" type of dive......my favorite part is popping out at the bottom on the wall at 135' and seeing the blue abyss and the deep infinity stretching out below...I LOVE wall dives! ...but going through the 'throat' itself wasn't very fun....definitely bring a light.....and if you aren't the 1st diver in line but are instead somewhere in the middle or back of the pack, and it's a larger group...the tunnel will be totally silted out with swirling sand kicked up by all the divers in front of you.....I wasn't really looking at anything other than trying not to lose sight of the diver's fins in front of me, with my nose up someone elses butt! ...I could have swam right by 'pink elephants' and never spotted them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom