Devil's Den, 2/18/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing the long drive down from NC on 2/17, and was thinking about diving Devil's Den on the 18th. I know that most folks have a love/hate relationship about the site, but I've never dived it and thought I'd give it a try.

Anybody interesed in joining me? Thought I'd do two tanks if the site has enough to hold my interest for that long, if not, we can move to somewhere else. (I've done Blue Grotto lots of times, but wouldn't be averse to diving there again.) I'm planning on starting in the morning, with a nice, easy pace.

Just a thought,
Grier

I wish I could join ya! Maybe next time...

Grier, wait one day and you will have the rest of the folks from NC down there with you. You know all about their trip dont you, at least i thought i saw you post on there.

I am thinking of doing the manatee thing on 2/19 though with Christina, not sure which op to use yet, but its in the pipeline.

Of the dives in the Ocala area i prefer Devils Den over Paradise and both over Blue Grotto, particularly for the fees they charge (now $30). Whenever you do go, i would suggest going clockwise and counter for a tank a piece. It took me at least 45 mins to go either way and it looks different from both sides. There are tons of swim thrus, some larger, some a bit of a squeeze. If you dont want to go with the group from NC i might well take a day off and join you just for the fun of it. I will also be at Ginnie on the afternoon/evening of 2/19 for some cave diving with BobbyF and the BBQ with the NC divers - might stay overnight, but wont be diving on the sunday as we'll be headed home early for Christina to go to work. Would be good to see you either friday or saturday.

simbrooks:
Grier, wait one day and you will have the rest of the folks from NC down there with you. You know all about their trip dont you, at least i thought i saw you post on there.

I am thinking of doing the manatee thing on 2/19 though with Christina, not sure which op to use yet, but its in the pipeline.

Of the dives in the Ocala area i prefer Devils Den over Paradise and both over Blue Grotto, particularly for the fees they charge (now $30). Whenever you do go, i would suggest going clockwise and counter for a tank a piece. It took me at least 45 mins to go either way and it looks different from both sides. There are tons of swim thrus, some larger, some a bit of a squeeze. If you dont want to go with the group from NC i might well take a day off and join you just for the fun of it. I will also be at Ginnie on the afternoon/evening of 2/19 for some cave diving with BobbyF and the BBQ with the NC divers - might stay overnight, but wont be diving on the sunday as we'll be headed home early for Christina to go to work. Would be good to see you either friday or saturday.

As always, thanks for the info, Simon. You were right about me going to Ginnie with the NCWD group, but I'm leaning heavily toward takeing a cavern class with the group at Ginnie on Saturday and Sunday, leaving only Friday and Monday for other springs. Assuming that I get into the cavern class, I'm planning on driving down on Thursday and spending Friday at one of the other local sites.

I like your approach to DD. If you can swing it, you are more than welcome to join me at the site. With a little luck, I'm going to try to get into the water pretty early. I tend to like to dive in the morning, take a bit of a break, then get in a second dive before lunch. Then I'll probably be trekking back up to Ginnie to set up camp or, if I camp on Thursday night, maybe to tube down the river, if the air is warm enough...

I've never dived DD or Paradise, so either would be fine for me. They're both on the list of sites I want to hit.

Drop me a note when you decide about Friday.

Take care,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
As always, thanks for the info, Simon. You were right about me going to Ginnie with the NCWD group, but I'm leaning heavily toward takeing a cavern class with the group at Ginnie on Saturday and Sunday, leaving only Friday and Monday for other springs. Assuming that I get into the cavern class, I'm planning on driving down on Thursday and spending Friday at one of the other local sites.
Sure you could find one instructor around there, they have a few. Not sure who is already doing it, but i think it was 2 or 3 so far, if you get another instructor that might be room for 2 a team.
GrierHPharmD:
Then I'll probably be trekking back up to Ginnie to set up camp or, if I camp on Thursday night, maybe to tube down the river, if the air is warm enough...
Can you say BRRRR? Tubing in the winter doesnt sound too much fun! I wont make it back up that afternoon, leave that for saturday.
GrierHPharmD:
I've never dived DD or Paradise, so either would be fine for me. They're both on the list of sites I want to hit.

Drop me a note when you decide about Friday.
Will do, both are good, Paradise is nice, but i have dove it A LOT now for training and fun :wink: I'll let you know soon, i dont see why i couldnt do the dives, its only an hours drive from me, so i can get there pretty much at 8am opening. Not sure on their fills, havent had one there, so two dives might be all unless we can ensure its clean. Its shallow, like 55ft max, 35-40 ave in the swim throughs with more above.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, Simon. I must have overlooked this thread.

I'm definitely up for an 0800-0830 arrival time, in water by 0900. I'll be driving in the night before, setting up camp at Ginnie, then driving down from Ginnie that morning, but I think it's very workable. I'll try to call them today or tomorrow to ask about fills, conditions, etc.

Looking forward to it,
Grier

Something came up and Grier cant make it, so i will just go to work for the day instead :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom