Destroyed Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I predict there will be a time when only a few divers will log their dives with paper-based log books and instead, most will download their dive logs from smart dive computers to other devices.
Not really a prediction when it is likely already the reality :wink:

Not really a prediction when it is likely already the reality :wink:

I find it sad that record-keeping nostalgia appears to be dead. @Angelo Farina must get some enjoyment and satisfaction from seeing his yellowed, handwritten entries from 1976. I know I would. And thanks for sharing, Angelo.

Choosing to keep a written logbook or not does not need to be such a divisive issue.
It's purely a personal choice, and I hope we can all just agree on that.

I have written at length in other threads about how much I cherish my logbooks.
To me they represent my history, my passion, my time, and my love of diving.
I have carefully logged over 1,700 dives over twenty+ years.
That said, the truth is...
Nobody gives a damn about your logbooks but you.

- - - - - -

Clearly the OP is looking for advise about methods to rescue lost dive info.

In addition to the suggestions already offered...
  • Think in terms of what info validates a logged dive? Location, date, duration of dive, maximum depth. Secondary info can be reconstructed later, or not.
  • Do you or your buddies have any digital photos from the dives? Most digital cameras will date and time stamp the digital files.
  • Can you remember making any phone calls or sending texts or emails the day of a dive? You may be able to distill some time, date, and location data from records.
  • Once you know the time and date of your dives, perhaps your buddies, or dive operation, can fill in some more details for you.
  • The suggestions above cover the technical info about a dive. Perhaps after recreating the frame work of your lost dives, some of the experiences will return to your memory. Interpretive things like the weather and sea conditions, the sea life observed, and your impressions of the day.
I have used these methods in the past to refine my log entries.

And one tip: Leave your log book at home. Use a dive slate or a school notebook to record info when you dive or travel. Update your real logbook when you get home.

K

Hello Divers,

I just joined scuba board. I have been diving for a little over two years. I am advanced certified and have done 58 dives.

I was doing some research diving in Madagascar, and keeping my dive log in my dive bag (stupid). While out on a dive once, the ocean shredded the pages, and I lost all of my dives.

What should I do? Do I have to start over from zero?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie,
while I can't give you any advice for retrieving your lost dive data, I can offer you hope for your future data if you enjoy keeping a manual log like I do.
Recently, my wife and I needed new dive logs and found this website: Dive Proof

The logbooks are waterproof and totally customizable. We sent pictures that I took while diving to be put on the covers which makes them a bit more personal and you would swear the pages are paper but they're not! Very easy to write in and totally waterproof and darn near indestructible. Lots of sizes and variations to choose from. The owner is a pleasure to work with as well. We needed ours in a bit of a hurry for an upcoming trip and despite the customization, she made sure we had them in time. Great customer service!

I highly recommend them to anyone who will listen (and no, I am not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever. Just really liked their product and service.).

I lost my logbook at some point in the last decade of not diving. I recreated a few "highlight" dives from memory, and started my new logbook at a very conservative number from there. I was somewhere in the 50-100 range, I know for sure. My new logbook, I started at dive number 20. I'm pretty certain I have more than 20 training dives alone, but I figure there's no inherent loss in "claiming" fewer dives than I know I have. And for me, it had been quite a few years since my last dive, so I knew I'd be rusty anyway. Unless you're aiming for a certain certification that requires X dives, I don't see it as a loss. More experience never hurt anyone, though it may delay plans a little. There are a couple 100-dive-minimum courses I'd like to take, so I just pushed those out farther. I'm ok with that though. I kind of doubt most shops will ask to actually see a logbook anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom