destinations similar to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishbowl

New
Reaction score
hi, i'm pretty new to diving but have done a few trips to Cozumel so far. i love it, and could just keep going back there (in fact, i hope to), but am also curious about maybe trying another place.

i'm a solo traveler / single diver, so i really like how simple it is to travel & dive in Cozumel. i'll list the things that i like about Cozumel, and perhaps someone could suggest what other places might have similar attributes?

1. warm weather & warm water with good visibility
2. lots of fish, sea life
3. easy to not go deeper than about 80 feet and can spend significant time at 30 to 60 feet where the fish are — i’m more interested in relaxed wildlife-watching than anything deep or adventurous. although i love drifting in cozumel’s currents.
4. affordable flights from usa (usually to cancun, which offers cheap/easy access to cozumel) -- i think any other destination will require a bit more air fare, so i accept that.
5. a town i can stay in that is mostly walkable with good food/restaurants
6. plenty of cheap hotels that are modern & comfortable (i'm not really into resorts or all-inclusives, although i guess i could try it if the diving was really worth it)
7. mostly boat diving, with a big customer base -- this is pretty important since i can jump aboard a boat with anywhere from two to eight other people plus a divemaster. i prefer this over trying to find a stranger to shore dive with, since i like to just rest or wander around doing my own thing when not diving.
8. lots of dive ops, so can find one that you like (safe, longer bottom times, rental equipment, etc.)

i guess the only thing i dis-like about cozumel is the industry that's developed around the cruise traffic. i'm not bothered by cruise ships so much, but i do get irritated at wildly aggressive salespeople lurching at me 10 times on every block :) i understand it, i can work around it, etc., but... that's just my least favorite part of the trip :)

places i'm considering:
-roatan or utila (any opinion on which has better fish & marine life?)
-cabo or puerto vallarta?
-the caymans
-hawaii (probably a way more expensive trip on every level)
-bonaire (although it seems like this is geared toward bring-a-buddy / shore diving / no divemaster - maybe not great for a loner? or is it possible/enjoyable to just boat dive here?)
-curaçao
-any good places in europe? maybe the canary islands…malta…

i am probably not able to reach asia for the time being, but hopefully someday i can shoot for thailand, indonesia, the red sea… :)

thanks for any input or advice you may have on choosing a 2nd dive destination based on what i like about cozumel! i appreciate any help. (sorry for the long post)

Funny we are in the midst of 3 big $ trips and after they are done going back to Coz because it's fun, cheap, close and good diving. And easy peasy on airline points and in biz.

And no jet lag. 3.5hrs will be a blink of an eye compared to the 32-56hr trips we've got coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ambergris Caye, Belize and West End, Roatan and I'm still seeking other locations too. :)

hi, i'm pretty new to diving but have done a few trips to Cozumel so far. i love it, and could just keep going back there (in fact, i hope to), but am also curious about maybe trying another place.

i'm a solo traveler / single diver, so i really like how simple it is to travel & dive in Cozumel. i'll list the things that i like about Cozumel, and perhaps someone could suggest what other places might have similar attributes?

1. warm weather & warm water with good visibility
2. lots of fish, sea life
3. easy to not go deeper than about 80 feet and can spend significant time at 30 to 60 feet where the fish are — i’m more interested in relaxed wildlife-watching than anything deep or adventurous. although i love drifting in cozumel’s currents.
4. affordable flights from usa (usually to cancun, which offers cheap/easy access to cozumel) -- i think any other destination will require a bit more air fare, so i accept that.
5. a town i can stay in that is mostly walkable with good food/restaurants
6. plenty of cheap hotels that are modern & comfortable (i'm not really into resorts or all-inclusives, although i guess i could try it if the diving was really worth it)
7. mostly boat diving, with a big customer base -- this is pretty important since i can jump aboard a boat with anywhere from two to eight other people plus a divemaster. i prefer this over trying to find a stranger to shore dive with, since i like to just rest or wander around doing my own thing when not diving.
8. lots of dive ops, so can find one that you like (safe, longer bottom times, rental equipment, etc.)

i guess the only thing i dis-like about cozumel is the industry that's developed around the cruise traffic. i'm not bothered by cruise ships so much, but i do get irritated at wildly aggressive salespeople lurching at me 10 times on every block :) i understand it, i can work around it, etc., but... that's just my least favorite part of the trip :)

places i'm considering:
-the caymans
-bonaire (although it seems like this is geared toward bring-a-buddy / shore diving / no divemaster - maybe not great for a loner? or is it possible/enjoyable to just boat dive here?)
-curaçao

i am probably not able to reach asia for the time being, but hopefully someday i can shoot for thailand, indonesia, the red sea… :)

thanks for any input or advice you may have on choosing a 2nd dive destination based on what i like about cozumel! i appreciate any help. (sorry for the long post)

I'll reply about my wife and I making some of the same decisions you are trying to make.

We both did our first dives in Cozumel (mine in the mid-80's; hers in the early 2000's), and once she was certified, it was our destination of choice. And while we had traveled to other dive locations, we always seemed to migrate back. Researching some of the same issues you have listed, we looked across the channel at the Yucatan mainland, and found Puerto Aventuras. We feel it clearly qualifies for your first several criteria: healthy reefs with good fish populations; you can't go below 100' unless you bring a shovel with you on the dive; easily accessible via the Cancun airport; and lots of access to non-diving activities.

Some differences, however, in order to be completely objective. First, we both love to cook, so we rent a condo when we are there, and then hit the local grocery store and farmer's market. To say that PA has a broad offering of places to eat is an overstatement (we like maybe three or four places, but cook the rest of our meals).

All the ocean diving is boat diving, but we also appreciate the access to the cenotes that line the main highway from Cancun to Tulum, which adds to the variety of the diving experience. There are three or four dive ops in PA, our preference is Dive Aventuras, and truly appreciate the professionalism of their staff, and the apparent quality of their rental gear (we own all of our own).

In terms of places to stay, there are several hotels within the PA complex, in addition to multiple condo units. Most of the hotels offer All-Inclusive meal plans.

Other than having to run the gauntlet of "representatives" as you exit the Cancun airport, there are no aggressive street vendors around the PA retail area, so your after dive strolls are pretty much to yourself.

I might not have satisfied all your criteria, but probably met a majority of them.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of more assistance to you.

places i'm considering:
-the caymans
-curaçao

You hit most of the typical dive destinations and some more difficult, expensive and obscure ones are in your list, one that you missed that is most obvious is the Keys of Florida, often considered more fishy than Cozumel and certainly offer more real shark sightings than you'll ever get in Cozumel.

Similar locations are all 2nd best when you consider cost and quality.

i would say no to Roatan, Cabo or Puerta Vallarta, you will be disappointed with the dives after Cozumel.

I wasn't aware anybody dove in Cabo or PV, nobody with a clue, anyway.

But a "no to Roatan" makes me think you might not have seen the best of Roatan. There's more going on than just the West End... If you like micro/macro.

In re the OP, I thought we might hear a request for drift diving. If you like that kind of thing, Coz might be a good preparation for the real-deal of the Caribbean Current... Tobago Speyside. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

To me diving is about the adventure and allure of the unknown. I've been diving for over 30 years - yes even PV and Cabo - where dives aren't as "scenic" as Cozumel and other reef-intensive dive locations. I think you need all of them in your collective dive experience. As for Roatan's West End - the diving there can be spectacular. And some sites not so much. But a mediocre day diving is better than a great day doing almost anything else.

There's enough variety around Coz, Cancun, Senotes, Playa... that you can keep going there as long as you want without getting too bored. However you should give Belize and Honduras some love as they are within 8 hours from many places in North America.

Speyside, Tobago will certainly deliver kickass currents, however, there's next to nothing else going on so doesn't meet the criteria.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom