Destination: Kihei

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldGreg

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a newb... i signed up on here while looking around for gear reviews. For my 1st post, i thought i'd seek some advise.

I'm getting married in Maui next weekend, and i have some friends and family that are PADI certified divers. I'm not certified... so the bride and i will be snorkeling, uh somewhere.

So i'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good dive spot (or tour) for my friends & fam?

Thanks for reading!

~Greg

If your friends and family want to do shore diving, you won't go wrong with Shaka Doug or Maui Dreams (though Shaka Doug seems to get the nod around here). If they're interested in boat diving, the most recommended here are B&B, Ed Robinson's, and Mike Severns.

All operate out of the Kihei area. :D

Oh yeah, and congrats on your upcoming marriage!!

Shaka Doug came up ALOT when i did the searching around before my post.

I have not dove with Doug but I have used Maui Dreams and they were very good. I did my boat diving with B&B and enjoyed their boat so much that they have a customer whenever I am on Maui, Black Rock up past Lahaina is an excellent shore dive.

Have you and your bride done some diving in a pool or anywhere? I can do an introductory dive (one morning) or an entire certification class (three mornings & early afternoons) with you, if either of those options interest you & your schedule.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Shaka Doug can also do the certification if you wanted. I always dive with B&B.

Have you and your bride done some diving in a pool or anywhere? I can do an introductory dive (one morning) or an entire certification class (three mornings & early afternoons) with you, if either of those options interest you & your schedule.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Thanks for the offer, but the bride and i just won't have the time to dedicate to getting certified. We've got a loaded itinerary to say the least! We'll be lucky to find the time to take a kayak/snorkel type tour. Oh, speaking of that... can anyone recommend a good kayak/snorkel contact? I did some internet searching yesterday, but i didn't really make a decision yet.

There's a lot of good shore diving in the Kihei area and south. Ulua Beach is a lovely dive, pretty simple navigation and quite a bit of life. It can be a problem to find parking if you don't get there early. Makena Landing is another very pleasant dive, with a bit of a surface swim. Ahihi Bay is a little further down the coast, and the viz hasn't been fabulous when we've been there, but the entry is very easy and again, the navigation isn't difficult.

Going with a guide is always a way to increase your chances of seeing the cool stuff that they know how to find and you don't, but you don't have to have a guide to dive on Maui.

We rent our tanks and weights from B&B, which is right in Kihei. As stated, the Molokini boats leave from the Kihei boat ramp, as well. So it's a pretty decent place to be headquartered.

Everyone is giving good advice for your friends WRT diving but here is something for you and your new bride. Go the Black Rock at the Sheraton near (or in) Kaanapali for some good snorkeling..

Black Rock is kind of a long drive from Kihei, if your days are full, though.

Ulua Beach is a very good snorkeling place, although the snorkel areas tend to be crowded.

Back
Top Bottom