Destin/Sandestin 6/20-6/23?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think its less of a problem in PCB, I've talked to one of the captains that run through Dive Locker(I think) and he'll take you anywhere within the range of what you paid as long as conditions allow.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I think its less of a problem in PCB, I've talked to one of the captains that run through Dive Locker(I think) and he'll take you anywhere within the range of what you paid as long as conditions allow.

We had the problem in PCB that PC Dive Center took us to the same spots on both Saturday and Sunday. Black Bart and Hathway Bridge Span. It was a different captain from the previous day, but jeez, every captain shouldn't take you to the same exact spot. This captain didn't even want to change spots on Sunday for the 2nd dive. He wanted to dive the Bart again for a 2nd dive that day (and 3rd dive for the weekend). We still had good dives, but they get where they don't want to venture far from the inlet.

ScubaTech showed me a good time -- it was a pleasant change from a lot of the "destination" operations I've seen.

First dive was on a natural reef (can't remember the name) about 80-85 feet of water, 50+ feet of visibility (I know this because my dive light came unclipped from my BC while I was at about 30', and I was able to watch it drop down to the bottom, where I promptly collected it. Lots of li'l fish, a few biggers ones and some lobsters (wish someone had told me that they didn't have pinchers -- I would have had a nice dinner that night). Right about 35minutes for the dive.

Second dive was on the bridge rubble after about an hour's surface interval. The pleasant change was that while some of the folks who had done a 15min dive (air hogs) earlier went down pretty quickly after arrival at the second site, the dive ops said not to worry about taking our time, nor to cut short the second dive til we were at our deco limit. As a result, as we were 2 of the last guys off (we left after some other folks had already come back on), there were folks who were waiting around for an hour. Most dive ops I've seen want you down, back up, and gone. I didn't get that vibe at all from ScubaTech.

Oh, and the wedding went just fine too, despite it raining on Saturday evening (and during the outdoor ceremony).

Glad you enjoyed your time here. Hope to see you head back this direction again.

And sorry to hear about the rain. Considering Walton and Okaloosa Counties are the driest in the state right now, I'm surprised you had some.

rugbydiver:
ScubaTech showed me a good time -- it was a pleasant change from a lot of the "destination" operations I've seen.

First dive was on a natural reef (can't remember the name) about 80-85 feet .

Glad to see you had good dives. the site might have been "Labor Day Rock" if it was a natural reef site in 80-85 feet. that sound familiar?

(that and the bridge rubble site are typical Scubatech sites).

mike_s:
Glad to see you had good dives. the site might have been "Labor Day Rock" if it was a natural reef site in 80-85 feet. that sound familiar?

(that and the bridge rubble site are typical Scubatech sites).
Sounding very much like the same kind of place. About 10-15 minute drive from the bridge rubble? If so, definitely it.

Labor Day Rock is a large raised area of "flat rock" with some very small ledges under going down to the sand for fish/lobster to hide under. I'd guess it's about 40-50yards long? (not sure exactly)

It's about 10-20 minute ride past where the "main bridge rubble pile" is that it sounds like you hit on your second dive. You would have been heading back towards shore to hit the 2nd site if this was it.

it's not a "great site" but I definately liked it. The bridge rubble is ok but not super exciting for multiple visits. Decent amount of fish though on the site.

I can try to post some pics of both the sites ....

If it was more like a crack in the sea floor, it could have been Amberjack rocks.

Sounding more like the ledges and such, and there were definitely lobster around. We anchored at one end of it, and it kind of bent off to the left (I suppose if you were on the other end, it would bend to the right...) as you swam down the length. Is amberjack rocks similar?

10min beyond the bridge is about right as well, as it was a quick trip back into shore.

Oh, and they cut up a pineapple for us as well. That was pretty tasty.

The one time I've been there (amberjack rocks), we anchored at the end, which had some outcroppings, and the crack ran to the left with the most difference between the height of the sides being 3' to 4'. Part of it looked like a small cliff. We hung around the end and did not travel far up the crack because there were several hunters in the group that we allowed some space. We went to the rubble right after that and it was a short ride as I recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom