Destin, Florida???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this weekend.

Sunday looks to be the better of the two days, but neither looks all that good. I prefer the "2 feet or less" sea days myself, although I'll go any day with 3' or less. (so 2-3 is "ok", although the upper end of that range can get uncomfortable)

Ironically, its more comfortable if you're trolling, as the boat is in gear and that tends to dampen the motion and make it more comfortable. Laying ahull (drifting) or at anchor tends to make it less comfortable, which is, of course what you're doing when diving.

Monday looks pretty good and if it continues to hold on the forecast I'll be trying to put together some folks for bubble-blowing in a day or two...

Holler if 'ya get down this way; if its nice we're nearly always out there.....

Hey Genisis - I did my O/W and AOW down in Destin and found a couple of lobster on our deeper dives. Any good spots to get a trip on in Destin with Emerald Coast or Scuba Tech for some bugs?

Well, yes and no.

Scubatech tends to run in pretty close to shore, which are not the places for bugs. Of course it depends on time of year too, as there are seasonal issues with spiny lobster.

Emerald Coast does run longer and deeper trips, but they tend to be sporadic and on a schedule I don't know that I'd do it that way. The problem is that you can't predict the weather down here, and two hours+ on a run out to the Timberholes in 4' seas is not a lot of fun if the seas are on your nose, and they often are in the summer. Then again I have my own boat so such things don't bother me - if its rough I don't go! :)

Slipper and shovelnose lobster can be found occasionally on some of the closer in-shore reefs, but its hit-or-miss. The spots that ST and ECS dive every day get a LOT of divers, so any bugs that might be found out there are going to get snapped up and FAST.

I pulled a few shovel lobbies off a reef to the east a few weeks back; its too far (east, not out) for Scubatech, but ECS might run out that way.... its not a well-known spot, which probably contributed to our success :)

If you wait until Spiny's are back in season the Timberholes are a great place to go hunt for them, but its 20nm from the pass and pretty deep - 110' or so - which means that Nitrox is pretty much mandatory to give you a decent linger interval and you have to watch your gas consumption carefully. ECS does run a few trips out there, and I go out there all the time on my boat both to fish and dive. Its one of my favorite spots; natural limestone ledges that have a propensity to hold both bugs and plenty of fish.

this weekend were MARVELOUS.

We were out both Saturday (fishing) and Sunday (diving) and it was absolutely beautiful both days.

Water is now in the low 70s at the bottom at 110-120', and at or near 80F at the surface. Vis has improved markedly, and is in the 30-50' range, depending on how far offshore. The fish are there in force as well.

Best conditions I've seen since last summer..... absolutely beautiful!

Summer is here - come on down and DIVE DIVE DIVE! :)

(PM me if you get this way and would like to dive with friends rather than with a commercial outfit.... :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom