Destin, Florida???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I was just certified last September here in Tallahassee, but I go to the Destin/Ft Walton area 4 to 5 times a year as a getaway. Anyways, last November I stopped into both of those shops to talk trips and dive gear, and they were both very helpful. At Scubatech, I spoke to the manager, an Australian guy, and he was very down to earth and easygoing. The guy I spoke to over at Emerald Coast was also very helpful, but seemed to really lean towards the real "tech" stuff.

Seaangel, at this time, my bro-in-law, a buddy here in town, and myself are also planning to be over in Destin the weekend of May 16-18. We are checking into trips with those 2 shops, as well as a charter company called Sand Dollar Charters.
So far, this is what Scubatech has for that weekend: 2 tank dive leaving out at either 11am or 3 pm (the earlier dive, 7am, is booked up) for $65 + $14 for tanks (if needed). A night dive is $45.

Tom

FSUgly,

Thanks for that information. I probably will look into the 3pm dive.
I have quite a drive Friday night and will want to rest in the morning. I will have to leave about noon on Sunday to return home so I doubt I will dive on Sunday. Be sure to post if you have any more information. I am interested. I will be calling Scuba Tech to confirm before end of next week if all goes as I plan.

Just to Clarify:

- Nancy and Carla are the owners
- Nancy is usually the captain of the the Sea Cobra
- Carla is usually in the shop
- Steve (a Brit) is shop manager and an expert with gear repair
- Mark is a Captain
- Marianne is an instructor
- and I'm not sure who the DMs are at this time

Anyway, they have a first rate, safe, and fun operation.

I dive out of Destin and run my own boat.

I am NOT a charter operator - just a guy with a boat.

However, I'm out there a LOT; if you're comfortable with doing relatively deep (but within recreational "limits" - 80-110' range most of the time) dives, and there's room on the boat, you're welcome to come dive with us too.

Just PM me when you intend to be here and I'll let you know what's going on around that time if I know. We typically only go if the weather looks fairly nice, which is NOT all the time :)

Update for Seaangel,

Here's what I have found out with Emerald Coast. They have 2 tank dives for $60 per person + $14 for tanks ($7 a piece). The trip leaves out at 12 (noon) and is back by 4pm. I'm not sure if they have a later trip. As far as a night dive goes, they don't have anything planned, but if enough people show interest it may happen.
Hope this helps. We are booked on the Noon trip from Emerald Coast. If you happen to chose that trip, it'd be cool to meet someone from this site. If a night dive interests you, be sure to mention it when you call/talk to them so that maybe we can get it to happen.

Tom
:) :mean: :)

Thanks, FSUgly. I still am looking at the afternoon time, I don't know what time I will be arriving in Destin. I am driving from Augusta , GA which makes that about a 91/2 hour drive. So it may be 2am or so Saturday morning when I get there. That is if I can leave work at 5pm. Not sure how that will go. If I can't get off by 5 then I am not going to leave here until 4am. Which means I may not dive at all. Bummer...I know. Maybe a night dive would be the thing to do. I plan to call down to Scuba Tech tommorrow if possible. I meant to today but, time got the best of me.

Again, thanks for the information. I am still working on things.
Cindy:D

shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. If things don't work with the charter folks and you want to dive with some locals, holler at me - we might be going if the weather is nice.

I replied to it :)

You're still quite welcome to come any time - I love getting wet... :)

I am not gonna make it happen this weekend. I have too busy a work schedule and it is too far to drive for one day. I am really bummed out over this. I will be working Friday and would not leave the hospital until about 1pm, I would have to drive 91/2 hours to Destin Friday getting there around midnight. Then if I were to dive in the afternoon get some rest I would be turning right around on Sunday at 11am to return home so I could be home in time to go to bed. I have to be to work Monday at 7am.
Guess I am getting too old for all of that it makes me tired thinking about it. Being alone on some of the back roads and highways late at night does not appeal to me too much either. There are no really good routes from here to there.

In June though I have a three day weekend I believe the 21-23, that one might be better for me. That way I will not be so rushed to get back to work. I am also coming to Destin with my family in July, the 18th through the 22nd. Which is Friday thru Tues. I know that will be much better for me. I won't be doing all of the driving either.

Those diving Sat. and Sunday have fun! I will look at maybe a local dive here at home. Hope the vis at the Lake has improved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom