Desperately seeking 16-18" YELLOW high flex LP hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't find any short LP hoses in yellow. Right now my slung pony has this long honking yellow rubber hose - and it's annoying. All I need is 16-18" - 22" at most. Do you think I can find a yellow hose that short? And yes it does have to be yellow. If I ever do happen to be diving with someone else I want there to be no question whatsoever which reg to grab. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't understand the problem. That hose spends most of its useful life doubled over down the side of a 12+ inch pony bottle. When deployed, it sit in front of you as you ascend. What is the problem? And why yellow?

Miflex doesn't come any shorter than 30' in yellow from the mfr. as far as I can tell. XS Scuba Miflex Braided Hoses
It appears Phantom is the same: ScubaGearPlus Products Phantom Braided Low Pressure (LP) Hoses, Phantom

For $6 any hose can be yellow if you can pull a fitting off to slip this on. Nitrox Flex Hose Wrap
Or not: Aqua 50" Spiral Hose Wrap

Maybe check with Dive Gear Express and see if they can make you up a short one - IDK if they can.
http://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/hoses_braided.shtml

I don't understand the problem. That hose spends most of its useful life doubled over down the side of a 12+ inch pony bottle. When deployed, it sit in front of you as you ascend. What is the problem? And why yellow?

Maybe for you. I obviously don't sling my pony the way you do. I sling it the best way for me. I have no need to have a floppy hose that is way longer than I need. And deployed - Guess what - I don't want to deploy it, it's on and set to go. I want to pull the octo from the holder and stick it in my mouth and breathe. I want the hose to run right up my body into my mouth without any big loops hanging out. Also, when deployed it might not be me using it - in and OOA emergency it's set up to hand off. Maybe it wouldn't work for you - for me it is absolutely perfect. Why yellow? Duh, it's the standard color for octo 2nd stages. See the color and don't think.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

Why would you want someone grabbing your back up air supply? I run a 40 inch on all my slung bottles.

In an OOA emergency (someone elses - not mine) they can grab the pony octo and breathe while I unclip and hand them the pony. Then we both have air and are not tied together 40 inches or less apart. We can ascend independantly.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

Custom LP Regulator Hose 3/8
20" yellow is a stock item. $17.50. Call to see if they'll do shorter.

Perfect!!! Thanks so very much. The extra 2 inches isn't really a problem. The 20" will do nicely.

I think you're assuming behavior on the part of an OOA diver that may not be as predictable as you think. The most likely event IME with an OOA diver is that they'll simply yank the 2nd stage right out of your mouth; it's happened twice to me. (Interestingly, both times by semi-panicked DM candidates in drills....kind of scary when you think about it)

I also think it's a good idea to have a look at how stage bottles are commonly rigged; the technical divers have figured this sort of thing out pretty well. On the ultra-rare occasion that I carry a pony, I rig the hose like a stage hose; secured along the side of the tank with inner tube bands. That way you rout the hose down and back up the tank so the 2nd stage is right near the valve, and a tug pulls it free. If you're really planning on handing this bottle off to a OOA diver, you might find that a longer hose is much more convenient.

Go to your LDS and ask them to custom order a Trident Braided 18in hose in yellow.

I will say however that you're going to have to be absolutely vertical and have your OOA diver right up to your chest rigging in order to comfortably give that 18in hose away.

Better to have a 40in hose to give you any needed play. I second that you check out tech rigging for stage bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom