Desolation Sound Marine Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi! I'm planning a dive trip up the west coast of the US and Canada in late February/early March. Desolation Sound looked interesting to me, but I wonder about the turbidity. Has anyone had experience diving there around that time of year?

Hi! I'm planning a dive trip up the west coast of the US and Canada in late February/early March. Desolation Sound looked interesting to me, but I wonder about the turbidity. Has anyone had experience diving there around that time of year?

I've never been to that particular area, but that should be the best time of year for visibility (judging by other dives I've done in the Strait of Georgia/protected inlets).

I did some diving many years ago at Viscount Island in Knight inlet. Thats a bit North of Desolation Sound. According to my logbook the visibility in May was outstanding.

Desolation Sound is a large area. Are you talking about Quadra/Campbell river? Powell River on the other side? Are you bringing your own boat?

The only dive ops that I know of are in the aforementioned places. This is a remote area with few or little facilities, and most of them would be closed at that time of year. It will be brutally cold, windy and probably some snow in Feb. too.

That all being said the viz is generally excellent in the early spring until around Mid-May.

I have dove a couple of sites years ago right in desolation from my boat, didn't find it all that great, not enough current, or swept clean. Campbell River is your best bet, I think WE Services runs all year. DynaMike's lodge is closing, although he will be available for charters from Campbell River (but not that time of year).

I'd come later in spring.
Jack

I've dived in Teakerne Arm in November and had over 100 ft. vis. Actually did a dive under the waterfall there where the lake empties into the ocean. That was pretty cool. For a remote place there was an awful lot of garbage at the bottom of the falls. We also dive in Okeover Arm (near the entrance to Desolation Sound) all winter and vis is usually great. Send me a PM in January and I'll update you on the vis then.

Cheers,
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom