[high budget] Raja Ampat Liveaboard suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be on Scubaspa Zen in December 2024. I don't know if it's booked for your time frame but it looks really luxurious. It also has a dhoni like its sister boats in the Maldives and I found dhoni diving to be much better than using RIBs/tenders.

Hello-
I will also be on Scubaspa Zen in December. Will you be there on the Christmas expedition??

Subscribe to UnderCurrent. You’ll find literally dozens of subscriber reports as well as feature reviews of land-based and liveaboards from all over the world. It’s not a magazine. There are no ads. It’s truly a unique and invaluable publication. Diving is not an inexpensive sport! Dedicated dive trips are insanely expensive. A typical liveaboard trip to Indonesia usually cost us (wife and me) $25 to $35k! (Will dive from our 40th liveaboard next year!)

A subscription to UC is about $58.00.IMO I don’t know how any serious diver, can take international dive trips without UC. To me UC is just another essential piece of gear that I would have a hard time diving without. The information it contains simply does not exist anywhere else. Even if you book through a dive shop or dedicated scuba travel agent, you need UC if you really wants to know what to expect and get the best value.

If someone had only been to Caribbean land-based destinations (for example) and then writes a glowing review of a liveaboard in Indonesia, you can read that quite differently from a report from someone who has dived throughout the world, has thousands of dives, and has submitted 25 reviews to UC. All that information is provided with each report.

You can also DM fellow subscribers and ask specific questions about their reviews. Most people are happy to answer. I’ve answered many over the years. I’ve also asked many.

You've learned by now many of the high end boats are booked through 2025 and much of 2026. Another idea for you is contact the boats you like about the itineraries you want and ask about a waiting list. Spread your risk and get on multiple waiting lists, if possible. A couple on my April Coralia trip booked it six weeks in advance of sailing when another couple canceled.

Subscribe to UnderCurrent.

If someone had only been to Caribbean land-based destinations (for example) and then writes a glowing review of a liveaboard in Indonesia, you can read that quite differently from a report from someone who has dived throughout the world, has thousands of dives, and has submitted 25 reviews to UC. All that information is provided with each report.

You can also DM fellow subscribers and ask specific questions about their reviews. Most people are happy to answer. I’ve answered many over the years. I’ve also asked many.
Bingo! I don't book anything without researching on Undercurrent first.

look at fiji land based as an alternative. a good resort will be nicer than staying on a liveaboard when it comes to privacy. the diving won't be as good but it will be pretty good still and better coral/macro than tahiti.

Wow with the exception of Dewi they all looked booked during our timeframe! I’ll have to send some emails today.
So when you look at the boat websites sometimes they say booked when its actually just chartered. You can often find spaces if you contact the group that is chartering the boat. Boats fill up with charters but then the groups that charter have to fill the spaces through their own means. Speak directly with the boat ops and don't rely of the info on the website.

Does anyone have any thoughts on scubaspa zen?

I'll be on Scubaspa Zen in December 2024. I don't know if it's booked for your time frame but it looks really luxurious. It also has a dhoni like its sister boats in the Maldives and I found dhoni diving to be much better than using RIBs/tenders.

Hello-
I will also be on Scubaspa Zen in December. Will you be there on the Christmas expedition??

I’ll be on Scubaspa Zen in January; @yumbbq: when I happened to look today, there were still (some) cabins in January, so there may be spaces when you want them.

Does anyone know of a way to connect with others on a upcoming liveaboard trip? Seems like it would be cool to chat beforehand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom