Depth rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gno

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know how far I can push the depth rating of my underwater casing which says 30m. :confused:

So far, another member has told me that she took it to 110 feet approximately 33m I think with no problems at all.

I read in a post from another member that usually the manufacturers rate the casing to half its capability only.

I am just wondering how much more can I push the limit coz somtimes, I dive up to 40m in depth.

Any views on the matter?

Gno:D

Gno once bubbled...
Does anybody know how far I can push the depth rating of my underwater casing which says 30m. :confused:

So far, another member has told me that she took it to 110 feet approximately 33m I think with no problems at all.

I read in a post from another member that usually the manufacturers rate the casing to half its capability only.

I am just wondering how much more can I push the limit coz somtimes, I dive up to 40m in depth.

Any views on the matter?

Gno:D

What casing do you have? I have taken my PT 015 to 132 feet a few times with no problems...

sapphire

Hi Sapphire,

It's the WCP-DC300 for Canon cameras!!

Gno:eek:ut:

I think you'd be safe taking it to 40m. Mine's rated to 30m and it's been to 140+ft., although that was a necessity that wasn't planned.

But for an occassional foray to 40m or so, I would think the manufacturers took actualy diving practices into consideration.

If it implodes...you didn't hear any of this from me! :eek:ut:

Thanks Dee!

I now have at least some additional confidence in bringing my gig down to 40 m!!

BTW, have you actually seen any casing implode underwater?

I actually thought of fixing a small surface sausage to the casing in case it starts to leak, just inflate the same and float it to the surface ASAP, if it is not too late of course.

:boom:

Gno

my wpdc800 (for the canon s400) is rated to 40m. only had it to about 85 feet so far, but nary a drop. it is a little bouyant, so i ziptie a .5lb weight to it. if it started to leak, i think i'd swim it up at normal speed rather than let it float up on a string...

No, I haven't seen or heard of one imploding or even cracking for that matter. But the first time mine went deep I sure thought it had! I was at 90ft. when someone dropped a weightbelt from above. I looked like it was only a few feet below me but when I got there, I saw my depth at 140+ ft. If there hadn't been a diver being held down by his buddy at the time, I wouldn't have done it. At about 120ft, I heard my PT-10 groan and then pop. I was afraid to look, I just knew I'd find it full of water. Nope! Dry as a bone! Everyone I've talked to who has taken theirs below about 120ft, have reported the same thing. And it hasn't done it sense. Of course, I don't make it a habit to take it that deep, in fact most of my picture taking is between 40-60ft, it's nice to know it will go with me with no problems.

The sausage is good in theory, but in reality it will still be in the water at the surface. If you noticed water in it at depth, more than likely the camera is toast anyway. They aren't very tolerant of ANY moisture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom