• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Depth of top of the reef in Little Cayman?

Discussion in 'Cayman Islands' started by mbs, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mbs

mbs Regular of the Pub

Starting to think about our fall/winter trip. Friends may be coming along and one of them likes to hang at the top of the reef. Been a few years since we have been to Little Cayman. Can someone remind me of the depth of the top of the reef/drop-off on most of the dives?
    Thanks!

2. caymaniac

caymaniac Giant Squid

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The top of the reef is somewhere between 20 to 40ft, I think the most shallow spot is 18, but of course it is possible to swim in closer to the shore but I'm talking about where the edge of the wall starts.
    [​IMG]

mbs likes this.
  3. mbs

mbs Regular of the Pub

Wow, thats fantastic! I don't recall it that shallow. But of course I was there for the wall diving :wink: I'll have to dig up my old photos... Thanks!!!

4. diversteve

diversteve always tired Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Little Cayman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mbs likes this.
  5. farsidefan1

farsidefan1 Loggerhead Turtle Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Many of the dive sites along bloody bay wall actually have 2 walls. a "little wall at about 20 feet then a long stretch (maybe 50 - 100 yards) before the real dropoff. Great diving throughout. We were there in February and I got great shots everywhere. Love the natural light.

mbs likes this.
  6. Doctorfish

Doctorfish Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    The site that typically is described as being 20 feet is Mixing Bowl, AKA 3 Fathom Wall. The main wall truly does start at that depth. Great Wall East and West is much the same. Most of the other sites along Bloody bay and Jacksons are a bit deeper. Jacksons, about 40 feet and Bloody bay seems to get deeper as you head west out of the park.

There are some sites Like Randy's Gazebo, where you need to be at about 60-70 feet to truly appreciate and also some swim throughs that open out on the wall at 80-90. It is certainly possible to enjoy LC diving on the North without going below 50 feet and therefore having long safe bottom times as well as lots of ambient light for photography.
    If the weather is bad and you end up south, the wall is more gradual and deeper than Bloody Bay but still very nice diving.

7. mbs

mbs Regular of the Pub

Thanks all! My foggy memory is clearing now :wink: