DEPP Questions (didn't want to highjack someone's thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to get my stuff insured before I leave to Florida this weekend but I have some questions:

1. Do I list my Inon WAL2 on flood/nonflood and where is the serial number?

2. Do I list my Suunto Vyper computer on flood/nonflood?

3. Do I list my housings on flood/nonflood and where is the serial numbers?

4. Where do I find the serial nuber for my Olympus C-5050Z or my Canon A40?

5. Do I list my Inon D180 strobe on flood/nonflood?

6. Where would I find the serial numbers for my ScubaPro Split fins, my wetsuits, or my mask with prescription lenses?

As well, where do I find the unit retail? Should I just call a local diveshop?

I would just call DEPP, but they are only accepting faxes and not answering emails since they are on vacation until June 2. Thanks so much for ALL YOUR HELP!!

KidK9:
I'm trying to get my stuff insured before I leave to Florida this weekend but I have some questions:

2. Do I list my Suunto Vyper computer on flood/nonflood
I wouldn't think so - it is built to get wet so a "flood" won't hurt it.

KidK9:
6. Where would I find the serial numbers for my ScubaPro Split fins, my wetsuits, or my mask with prescription lenses?
Depends on the housing - electronic controls, yes; manual, no. My serial number for Amphibico is on the bottom. My canon doesn't have one - I just put N/A. My cameras have them on a silver strip on the bottom.
My gear mostly doesn't have serial numbers, never been a problem...again N/A

KidK9:
I would, if it floods it's toast.

KidK9:
Do you mean the retail cost of each piece? I would get online or call a shop and find the HIGHEST cost as this will dictate the replacement value - you do not want to insure for a sale amount and then have a flood and have to pay full value (you are out of pocket the difference).

YMMV - hope this helps.

You're the best alcina. Thanks so much.

Anything with an air compartment and o-ring is subject to flooding. This includes ALL camera equipment. I would also include dive computers - there's usually an o-ring somewhere. If a mechanical camera housings floods for example, it should at least be serviced - cleaned up, replace o-rings, pressure test, etc. Insurance may cover this cost. If any electronics gets wet you probably need a new one.

KidK9:

I have mine covered for flood. A hard enough ding can cause the inside of the lens to flood then it's toast.

2. Do I list my Suunto Vyper computer on flood/nonflood?
Yes, it can flood.

If it's got manual controls as with the Oly PT-15, no. Flooding won't hurt it. If it has electrical controls, yes.

On the 5050 it's on a sticker on the botton of the camera.

Flood. the serial number is on the inside of the battery compartment.

They don't have one but don't worry about it, most scuba equipment outside of computers don't. Just put N/A.

In most cases, I list what it would cost me to replace it at average local retail prices. Don't overinflate the price. For one thing your total coverage effects your premium and for another DEPP is only going to replace your stuff, not pay you for it. Why pay more premium for inflated prices?

Good advice on the WAL...although I would think a hit hard enough to flood it is going to cause other damage that will be covered by the non-flood portion? Don't know as don't have one yet so really glad you brought it up.

I agree with Dee - don't totally overinflate the price, but a few more dollars in your premium is worth a bit when you go to replace and find out the newer model (because you can't find the old one - this is what happened with my video camera) is slightly higher than the sale price you originally insured for or because you can find the same one but have to pay a premium price for it...insure at a reasonable rate, after all this insurance replaces the gear instead of giving you cash so you can't get rich quick :wink: I mostly use B&H pricing now as they are good to deal with and usually have what I need (or a reasonable facsimile) in stock.

Have fun!!

alcina:
Good advice on the WAL...although I would think a hit hard enough to flood it is going to cause other damage that will be covered by the non-flood portion? Don't know as don't have one yet so really glad you brought it up.

Yeah, it's a tossup. But I had an old WA lens..pre-digital...that somehow got water in it. I didn't remember bumping it hard enough to damage it and there were no signs of impact damage and it still worked fine except it had a puddle of water in it. I hadn't covered it for flood because like you say, it was made for underwater. They would have replaced it under the flood coverage since there was no obvious damage otherwise. Since then, I keep flood coverage on all lenses. For a $350 len that's only $14 for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom