Deparate Housewives anti Filipino ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomeck

Never saw it. From what I have read, good and bad points. There is no question that the insurance industry in this country has inequities.

However, the issues involved are very complex and can be easily manipulated by a biased documentary maker.

Example; I saw an excerpt of the film in which an insurance company is blasted for not paying for a bone marrow transplant (BMT) for a cancer patient. It is assumed that the expense of the transplant meant more to the company than the patient's life.

IN REALITY, BMT for cancer, except for certain leukemias, does NOT work. a recent book, I believe it's called "False hope" or something along those lines, outlines in detail how BMT was hyped by news outlets and advocates long before any scientific data validated its worth. In this case, the insurance companies were RIGHT to demand that these painful and costly procedures be evaluated fully before being unleashed wholesale on the general public. Nevertheless, advocates browbeat insurers into paying for them and we now know, years later, that BMT is largely worthless in tumors like renal, lung and breast cancer.

The documentary I'd like to see by Michael Moore, not to change the subject, is one on the HIGHER EDUCATION industry. The average person will consume about 200K of health care in their lives...the cost of many college degrees is approaching that and will soon surpass it. And a college degree is every bit as necessary to many people's quality of life as is health care and should be as accessible to all income groups.

But now, we want our health care paid for, but the response of the government to 45K a year tuition? Borrow the money. Can you see if they told a cancer patient that? Need chemo? Here's a subsidized loan. I know it isn't the same thing, exactly, but right now colleges and universities have been given free rein while every other industry, from oil to autos to health car, have been ridden like pack mules by the feds.

Is a current college degree worth 100, 160, even 200K? Why is college going up faster than inflation, faster than health care? Is the technology of teaching Sartre or calculus that much more costly now than when I paid 700 bucks a term in the late 1970s???

That would be a documentary I would pay to see...

Tomeck

Never saw it. From what I have read, good and bad points. There is no question that the insurance industry in this country has inequities.

However, the issues involved are very complex and can be easily manipulated by a biased documentary maker.

Example; I saw an excerpt of the film in which an insurance company is blasted for not paying for a bone marrow transplant (BMT) for a cancer patient. It is assumed that the expense of the transplant meant more to the company than the patient's life.

IN REALITY, BMT for cancer, except for certain leukemias, does NOT work. a recent book, I believe it's called "False hope" or something along those lines, outlines in detail how BMT was hyped by news outlets and advocates long before any scientific data validated its worth. In this case, the insurance companies were RIGHT to demand that these painful and costly procedures be evaluated fully before being unleashed wholesale on the general public. Nevertheless, advocates browbeat insurers into paying for them and we now know, years later, that BMT is largely worthless in tumors like renal, lung and breast cancer.

The documentary I'd like to see by Michael Moore, not to change the subject, is one on the HIGHER EDUCATION industry. The average person will consume about 200K of health care in their lives...the cost of many college degrees is approaching that and will soon surpass it. And a college degree is every bit as necessary to many people's quality of life as is health care and should be as accessible to all income groups.

But now, we want our health care paid for, but the response of the government to 45K a year tuition? Borrow the money. Can you see if they told a cancer patient that? Need chemo? Here's a subsidized loan. I know it isn't the same thing, exactly, but right now colleges and universities have been given free rein while every other industry, from oil to autos to health car, have been ridden like pack mules by the feds.

Is a current college degree worth 100, 160, even 200K? Why is college going up faster than inflation, faster than health care? Is the technology of teaching Sartre or calculus that much more costly now than when I paid 700 bucks a term in the late 1970s???

I believe that insurances think only money and they don't care patients. Canada is excellent for the health, but it cost four times less expensive than in the USA. :wink:

The tuition and expenses at my alma mater, Johns Hopkins, are $49k a year. But you can get a decent education at City University for $4k a year. The real question is, is the difference worth $180k? I think the smart strategy is to excel at a cheap city or state school, and save your tuition money for graduate school.

Hey! I saw a three legged dog yesterday!

I hope you are not suggesting that an Asian ate the missing leg. Was the dog brown?

Hey, dog is pretty good. The dog was a yellow color......lololololol.

Since I am married to a Filipina, I notified her of this derrogatory remark, didn't take long for her to get worked up about it, along with her Filipino friends and organizations. We are currently sending my wife's niece through medical training in the Philippines, money well spent in my opinion. I imagine that a very large part of our caregivers in the future for all us baby boomers will be in a large part Filipinos, they are already very much into our medical industry, and the demand for them will grow. The ones I have come across have been the most friendly and caring, very importants traits for this type of work. Oh, and Michelle Malkin rocks big time :D

Since I am married to a Filipina, I notified her of this derrogatory remark, didn't take long for her to get worked up about it, along with her Filipino friends and organizations. We are currently sending my wife's niece through medical training in the Philippines, money well spent in my opinion. I imagine that a very large part of our caregivers in the future for all us baby boomers will be in a large part Filipinos, they are already very much into our medical industry, and the demand for them will grow. The ones I have come across have been the most friendly and caring, very importants traits for this type of work. Oh, and Michelle Malkin rocks big time :D

I'm sure she's delightful.

David's wife's niece vs Harward grad?

Hmmm....tough decision.

Originally Posted by Tomeck
What do you think about Sicko by Michael Moore?

Michael Moore, we could do a whole thread on him, although it would not have much to do about diving. I'd like to see a documentary on him making documentaries. If there ever was an "*** hole"!:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom