Dental crowns and implants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recently diving with a temporary crown for over a week. No problems there either.

Seven crowns and half my mouth is artificial- no problems so far. Put my Dentist's kid through college...:D

Terry

I might add, I didn't have any problems getting the crowns, I did have problems paying for them though. Did I say I HATE DENTISTS?

Temporaries would be contraindicated for diving.

Hmmm ... haven't tried diving with a temp, but if it's well-seated with no voids (and it should be), why would it create a problem?

Temporaries are just that, temporary. Dislodging at dinner, movie ,etc, easily spit out. Underwater, with regulator they are a potential choking hazard. Strange things can and will happen. Get the permanent and one less worry. Same should apply to smaller removable appliances, in fact, I wouldn't dive with a denture either.

Crowns and implants for the years of abuse they endure are a good investment. We spend thousands on disposable electronics and things that aren't necessary and never complain, but give someone a product that can be used 24/7 for a lifetime and they gripe about it. Go figure.

I am old (62) with lots of crowns. I had a problem on a trip to Fiji a few years with a tooth squeeze on descent. It turned out to be decay under an old crown that created a squeezable air pocket. New crown and a grand $ later, no more problem

I am old (62) with lots of crowns. I had a problem on a trip to Fiji a few years with a tooth squeeze on descent. It turned out to be decay under an old crown that created a squeezable air pocket. New crown and a grand $ later, no more problem

Had the same issue with 20 year old Navy fillings in St. Lucia. Now, that's scary dentistry....

As a dive professional, there was no way for me NOT to dive with a temporary crown when I recently had my 20-plus-year-old permanent crown replaced. I did quite a number of dives with no issues. I suppose that if a person were to use a temporary so long that it might as well be permanent, it could conceivably become dislodged with a reg, but any temporary that was so susceptible to damage probably indicates a low quality in the first place. In my case I was clear with my dentist that I needed to dive, and there was no suggestion on her part that it would be a problem. It wasn't.

Temporaries are just that, temporary. Dislodging at dinner, movie ,etc, easily spit out. Underwater, with regulator they are a potential choking hazard. Strange things can and will happen. Get the permanent and one less worry. Same should apply to smaller removable appliances, in fact, I wouldn't dive with a denture either.

I have both upper and lower dentures and use NO adhesive at all.... You should go with a long bite mouthpiece.... It keeps the regulator in place much better and doesn't put stress on just a few teeth...

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom